Database Engineer - remote work
External Job Description
The Data Engineer is essential to data operations for the development and integration of a variety of data sources from customers across the Department of Homeland Security. This is a remote position. Occasional meetings with the client located in Washington, DC may be required. US Citizenship required. Successful completion of a Background Investigation to obtain the Government Security Clearance required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work closely with software engineers and architects to extract, transform, and standardize data to prepare for ingest into target sources
- Responsible for the day-to-day operations of systems that depend on data, ensuring data is properly processed and securely transferred to its appropriate location, in a timely manner
- Process data include managing, manipulating, storing and parsing data in a data pipeline for variety of target sources
- Design and develop data services and/or pipelines as part of an Agile/Scrum team
- Support continuous process automation for data ingest
- Support maintenance of applications and tools that reside on these systems such as upgrades, patches, configuration changes, etc.
- Work with program management and engineers to implement and document complex and evolving requirements
- Perform multiple tasks simultaneously and successful perform under changing requirements and deadlines
- Help cultivate an environment that promotes customer service excellence, innovation, collaboration, and teamwork
- Other duties as assigned
- BS degree in Computer Science or related IT field/equivalent experience
- 7+ years of IT experience including experience in design, management, and solutioning of large, complex data sets and models.
- Experience handling multiple tasks, changing priorities, and timely action;
- Experience with developing data pipelines from many sources for structure and unstructured data sets in a variety of formats
- Proficiency developing data extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) processes, and performing test and validation steps
- Proficiency with Python, R, and SQL languages, as well as various command line interfaces (Linux, AWS, Git Bash, etc.)
- Technical proficiency with various database architectures, designs, and modeling
- Familiarity with Hive, Hadoop, Kylin, and other big data analytic tools
- Excellent communication, and presentation skills with the demonstrated ability to communicate across all levels of the organization and communicate technical terms to non-technical audiences with an impeccable attention to detail
- Experience with DHS and knowledge of DHS standards a plus
- Demonstrated experience translating business and technical requirements into comprehensive data strategies and analytic solutions
- Mid-level expertise in developing and managing data technologies, technical operations, reusable data services, and related tools and technologies
- Demonstrated ability to adequately plan and meet delivery objectives and maintain adequate service levels in a highly dynamic, complex environments
Federal Background Investigation REQUIRED please read.
The selected candidates for this position must be able to successfully obtain and maintain a favorably adjudicated government background investigation. This background investigation requires U.S. citizenship and will include an investigation of your financial, education, employment, medical, residence, and personal records. The cost of this investigation will be paid by TWD & Associates.
Washington, DC 20002 US (Primary)