The Hartford's Enterprise Data Organization is seeking a Data Engineer in our Hartford, CT office. We are seeking a talented professional with a proven track record of engineering and operationalizing a next generation analytics solution suite using Cloud (AWS) and Big Data Technologies. Our ideal candidate will leverage deep technical expertise and strong communication skills to deliver both invest and maintenance projects within the Personal Lines portfolio. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop high quality, scalable software modules for next generation analytics solution suite
- Prototype high impact innovations, catering to changing business needs, by leveraging new technologies (AWS – Cloud and Big Data)
- Possesses functional knowledge and skills reflective of a competent practitioner with the ability to deliver on work of highest technical complexity
- Migrate on-premises databases/data warehouses/applications to Cloud (AWS) using Big Data Distributed Processing technologies
- Implement the disaster recovery plan to ensure that new systems promote uninterrupted systems operation
- Coordinate activities with cross-functional IT unit stakeholders (e.g., database, operations, telecommunications, technical support, etc.)
- Formulates logical statements of business problems and devises, tests and implements efficient, cost effective application program solutions (e.g., codes and/or reuses existing code through the use of program development software alternatives and/or integrates purchased solutions)
- Prepares charts, tables and diagrams to assist in analyzing problems, utilizing various business, scientific, engineering and mathematical techniques. Analyzes existing system and programming logic to provide more efficient machine operations or to identify difficulties, and revises the logic and procedures involved as necessary
- Requires an extensive knowledge of the system development life cycle, the client area’s functions and systems, and application program development alternatives.
- Requires excellent business communication skills, analytical ability, strong judgment skills, and the ability to work effectively with Business
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related discipline and five or more, years’ experience in IT systems analysis and application program development, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 5+ years ETL / Data Integration
- 2+ years Big Data / Cloud (AWS) Technologies experience
- AWS / Big Data Technologies certification preferred
- Knowledge of Oracle, Talend, Unix/Linux Shell scripting, Autosys scheduling tool, Sub Version, version control Tools.
- Strong data warehouse applications knowledge in financial/insurance domain
- Knowledge of Actuarial Business processes and Applications.
- Knowledge of Big Data Distributed Processing (HDFS, Hive, Spark, PySpark), AWS, Data Analytical languages R, Python preferred.
- Good programming skills in Java
- Experienced in Agile and Kanban Methodologies
What Else Can You Tell Me?
The Hartford is committed to the education and growth of our Information Technology Professionals. A number of IT Certifications are available to enhance your career and growth potential. IT Professionals at The Hartford may qualify for a stipend up to $1000 per year for additional certifications