Industry: Accounting, Finance & Insurance•
Less than 5 years
Posted 123 days ago
We value our Data Engineers and the technical knowledge that contributes to our Data Services organization at Sentry Insurance. Our Data Services organization implements and maintains the usability of Sentry's strategic data assets on an enterprise wide basis. This position has a focus on the quality implementation and optimization of ETL and BI capabilities within multiple technologies, including Java, Apache Kafka, Informatica, SQL, Business Objects, Tableau and SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS). The Data Engineer is a critical component of our Data Services team in Information Technology (IT). This position can be filled as a Data Engineer or Data Systems Developer depending on the selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
What You'll Do
As a Data Engineer, you will deliver complex solutions and be a key contributor in the design, development, implementation and quality assurance of new and existing ETL and BI components supporting our Personal Lines Business strategic data assets. Additionally, you will:
• Adhere to Solution Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodology with focus on Agile and Iterative Business Delivery while working with a team of Data Engineers, Data Product Analysts and Data Architects.
• Maintain sensitivity to and follows all IT standards and system security procedures.
• Lead or provide in-depth input into the identification and development of program and data repository specifications.
• Lead or contribute to the development and implementation of new and existing programs, data repositories and data consumption methods.
• Ensure continuous operations of existing systems and programs. Ensure complete and accurate documentation.
• Provide direction on choice of data integration and data consumption tools to build complex data assets.
• Develop audit testing procedures, debugging procedures, and coordination with other Information Technology personnel to communicate information to facilitate compatibility of all systems throughout Sentry.
What it Takes
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems preferred.
• 2+ years of related work experience including:
o Experience in developing with SQL and Java, or similar languages.
o Experience in developing and supporting operational and analytical data stores.
o IT work experience in business intelligence tools and systems.
o Experience in developing with Apache Kafka to support stream processing would be beneficial.
• Excellent communication skills (written and oral) required.
• Demonstrates a passion for building systems that have measurable impacts.
• Demonstrates innovation and technical versatility.
• Demonstrated sense of logic, decision making and problem resolution skills required.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment is required
• Knowledge and experience in the insurance industry is beneficial
• Ability to work on-call hours, as needed