We are seeking a data engineer that wakes up every morning thinking about how to make data use and data solutions more efficient, thrives on leveraging open source tools and enjoys working in a team environment. The right person for this role has a passion for all things data, and has begun to develop the technical skills to follow that passion. A Data Engineer in the Data insights, Visualization and Analytics team is expected to be a problem solver for Marqeta’s growing data needs, be able to contribute to projects in a timely manner while juggling multiple priorities, and proactively ideate with the broader team.
Help develop a data environment consistent with industry best practices and cutting edge approaches. Develop, maintain and support a nimble data access solution able to both provide ready access to existing data features and incorporate new features in a timely manner. Operate in time-sensitive environment with competing deadlines, by appropriately prioritizing the short and long term paths based on an Agile development process.
- 2+ years experiencedesigning, implementing and maintaining relational / data warehousing environments (custom or structured ETL, preferably working directly with large data environments)
- Familiarity with Data Warehousing concepts (e.g. dimensional data modeling) and schema design (e.g. Star, snowflake, etc.)
- Experience building and launching efficient & reliable data pipelines to move data (both large and small amounts) throughout Data Warehouse.
- Experience in Redshift SQL(PostgreSQL) or MySQL, with ability to optimize queries for high volume environments
- Experience in building large-scale, distributed systems using Python, Java or Scala.
- Experience with git, github, and the pull request workflow
- Experience with Shell Scripting/Crontab
- Positive outlook towards work, strong work ethic and ability to work in a team environment
Bonus Points for:
- Experience in Big Data frameworks (such as Hadoop, Hive, Kafka, Spark is a plus)
- Experience in data modeling for complicated business problems, designing ETL / data pipeline solutions (such as Talend/Python preferred), and working in columnar databases (Amazon Redshift preferred)
- Experience in payments (Good Domain knowledge on Financial Services Industry)
- Previous work with NoSQL DBs such as DynamoDB, Cassandra, MongoDB, HBase.