Group Nine Media is looking for a Data Engineer to join our Data Insights Pod. This individual is a self-starting, organized and dynamic person who is passionate about the Group Nine Media brands and working with data at scale.
The Data Insights team is a high-impact group of people with Engineering, Data Science and Design skills that build and support data products that are utilized by many teams at Group Nine. The team comes from various social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds. We value professional development and work/life balance. It's our belief that our team and our work are both made better by our diversity. If this sounds like you, keep reading!
As a person who will help establish Group Nine Media as an insights leader in the media industry, in a typical week you’ll:
- Architect highly-scalable data ingestion applications, construct real-time and batch ETLs, deliver highly visible reports, and build business intelligence tools that are used by Group Nine every day
- Be exposed to how big data is utilized at Group Nine Media to make decisions, set goals, and drive business decisions
- Utilize modern data technologies and tools to focus on delivering valuable insights - not maintaining a legacy architecture
- Develop applications, jobs and APIs that enable teams and software to get access to the data they require
- Work with our Data Scientists and Engineers to create standards for how our datasets are stored and queried
- Implement data validation processes to ensure data quality
- Research new and innovative ways to create data products and services
- Learn something new and awesome every day!
Some technologies that we use and love:
- Google Cloud Platform
- AppEngine, Kubernetes, Cloud Run
- Airflow, Cloud Composer
- Apache Beam, Cloud Dataflow
- Python, Ruby, Go, Node.js
- Looker, Data Studio
- You have at least 2 years of professional experience
- You have a BS in Computer Science - but we welcome other STEM-related fields or equivalent experience
- Proficiency with Python, SQL, git, and Unix/Linux Environments
Qualities of an ideal candidate:
- You value humility, patience, diversity and curiosity
- You enjoy using your strong analytical problem solving skills to improve the business
- You have excellent communication skills. This is a role that interacts with many members across the business, especially on the Product and Insights teams.
- You have a passion for evangelizing how data can impact the decisions we make
- You understand the benefits of developing powerful and user-friendly tools to augment the capabilities of the business
- You are genuinely interested in building applications that scale with the business
- You’re an independent, self-starter who sees the freedom to shape a team and their future work as an exciting challenge