The Data Engineer will be involved as part of the drilling optimization team. The position reports to the Manager, Drilling Optimization ETL and works closely with the BI Data Analyst to create models that support the Optimization team in benchmarking Rig performance with the goal of finding opportunities for rig performance improvement by leveraging modern data mining techniques over large data sets.
- Design and develop new ETL script to process drill rig data sensor streams to produce drilling performance KPIs.
- Design and develop new ETL script as well as build a database model that can be used to translate complex performance data into usable information that objectively depicts Precision’s rig fleet performance.
- Assist with the construction and implementation of the operational data stores and data marts.
- Act as technical expert for identified applications and share knowledge as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain technical documentation or system workflow using diagram and/or flowchart when needed.
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of ETL performance tuning techniques
- Familiarity with data visualization tools such as PowerBI and\or SAP analytic clouds is an asset
- Familiarity with Pentaho ETL Tool is an asset.
- Interpersonal skills – Is approachable and able to establish trust and rapport with customers, employees, and co-workers. Demonstrated ability to maintain lasting relationships. Able to create a collaborative environment.
- Attention to Detail – Able to use large amounts of information to produce precise and consistent calculations, reports, charts, statistics, etc. Regularly checking and cross-referencing work may be required to ensure accuracy.
- Initiative – Able to identify problems, creatively think of solutions, and decide on the best course of action regarding the situation. Can work under minimal supervision to complete required tasks.
- Communication – Able to articulate to various audiences both through verbal and written communication. Able to listen and influence others, as well as clearly communicate their own thoughts and issues in a clear and concise manner.
- Technological skills –
- Proficient in dimensional data models, data warehouse architecture and ETL design patterns.
- Experience with wide range of technology tools including but not limited to: MQTT, OSI PI, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Spark, Hadoop
- Must have a drive to continually learn and embrace new technology
- Time Management skills – Can prioritize multiple responsibilities, meet deadlines, and estimate time required for completion of tasks.
- Degree or Technical Diploma in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or IT Engineering
- Minimum 3 years’ experience engineering big data platforms and large-scale data initiatives
- 3-5 years’ experience with ETL systems
- Experience building high performance algorithms
- Extensive knowledge in Python is a must
- Experience with Azure data technologies such as Azure SQL Database, Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Lake and Azure Databricks is considered an asset
- Oil & Gas experience is a plus