As a member of Acadian’s Investment Platform Team, the data engineer will play an integral role in supporting and advancing data and compute infrastructure, environments and core APIs that Acadian’s quantitative investment models, research, decision systems, and analytics are built on. The Data Engineer is primarily responsible for the design, engineering and administration of the data tier that enables Acadian’s investment systems to process large data sets, scale and operate with high reliability. The candidate should have experience in database development, data processing with sound coding skills, administration and tuning. A successful candidate is a motivated self-starter with an aptitude for learning new skills and environments quickly while multi-tasking on more than one high-priority deliverable. The role will have in office hours with an on-call rotation and weekend work. Members of the platform team will collaborate with and influence central IT to leverage core services such as DR, multi-zone cloud, security and best practices.
What You’ll Do:
- Own the expertise in the data platform domain – relational and non-relational stores, caches, ETL, streaming
- Lead efforts to build out next generation systems and harmonize compute capabilities
- Pro-actively tune and optimize existing workloads and contribute coded solutions
- Contribute to the build out of highly scalable data sets and design of performant access layers
- Design mechanisms to efficiently migrate data from development to production
- Understand the platforms, data, applications and workflow to ensure that the investment process is best empowered through the lens of highly reliable and performant data systems
- Contribute to project-based work while managing the on-demand workload of pro-active support.
- Provide guides, examples and coaching to share best practices and increase adoption of tools and techniques
- Collaborate with the Enterprise Data Management function to apply data governance best practices and to integrate data quality and monitoring controls into designs and architecture.
We’re Looking for Teammates With:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related technical field
- 5+ years of closely related experience with one or more of the following: Microsoft SQL Server, AWS Aurora, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Snowflake, MongoDB, Redis, DynamoDB
- T-SQL programming, performance, and optimization
- Experience with backup/recovery tasks, user administration, data system installation and configuration
- Data replication technologies, configuration and performance in a clustered environment
- Scripting or software development experience (PowerShell, python, C#, etc.)
- Ability to spot problematic areas, analyze solutions and propose, direct and execute their resolution.
- A solution and delivery oriented mindset with a ‘roll-up your sleeves’ attitude
- Hands-on experience with data architecture and design.
- World-class problem-solving skills and ability to articulate findings and solutions in verbal and written form
Why work here:
Acadian is a quantitative investment firm where ideas are empowered by technology. Our team is made up of a diverse mix of professionals who thrive in a culture that fosters ingenuity through collaboration and transparency.
- Casual office environment. Casual dress code everyday. The kitchens are stocked with free snacks and drinks.
- Better Benefits. Get quality medical, dental and vision insurance; Paid leave bank of 20 days; Profit Sharing; Tuition & Health Club Reimbursement.
- Opportunities to Develop Personally & Professionally. We promote local volunteerism and organize hands-on opportunities throughout the year. Work side-by-side with some of the industry’s most admired professionals.