At its core, 500px is a community of passionate photographers. As a company, our mission is to build a platform that enables and rewards community’s visual creativity. Every month, millions of people from around the world use our website and mobile apps to find, share, and get rewarded for the world’s most inspiring photography.
We are looking for a performance-driven Data Engineer who can maintain and improve our ETL system and accelerate the creation of our internal data system. You will be expected to contribute your ideas and act as a full member of the team.
- Ensure the reliability, efficiency and scalability of the ETL system
- Work closely with data science team to redesign data warehouse schemas
- Perform and automate data preparation for internal consumptions upon request, such as:
- Mapping locations from photo latitude and longitude data using the Google Maps API
- Applying existing statistical models to predict users’ genders
- Extracting search term trends from Google Trends
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Expert knowledge of Python and SQL.
- Working knowledge of MapReduce, Spark, or other data processing systems.
- Experience with database systems including MySQL, Postgres, and MongoDB
- Experience with data architecture such as data warehouse schema design, data ingestion and data integration
- Experience in architecting web crawling systems
- Complete comfort and familiarity with software development and test tools (git, Github, bug tracking), Linux environments
- Solid understanding of application monitoring, metrics, and performance optimization
- A passion for high quality code, honed by experience
- Excellent communication skills
You'll get bonus points for:
- A love of photography and familiarity with the 500px platform
- Knowledge of statistical sciences
- Extensive knowledge with Amazon AWS services
- Interesting technical challenges
- Competitive salaries
- Flexible hours
- Catered lunches and some of Toronto's best coffees and teas
- Great health and dental benefits
- Many professional development opportunities
We believe diverse teams perform better, and we seek to increase our overall team diversity. We make active efforts to reduce the impact of unconscious bias in our hiring process.