The role of Research Director within the Data Center team is responsible for leading research for the enterprise storage software market. This analyst willprovide thought leading, strategic advice and insight relating to trends and technologies in the storage market and their impact on end user customers as well as providers’ product roadmaps, go to market plans, and sales strategies. Broad knowledge of software defined storage, cloud storage, backup/recovery, archiving, hyperconverged systems, and management tools with specialization in vendor product marketing, product management, sales, route to market and business strategy is necessary for success in this role.
This analyst will excel in understanding current cloud and data center storage buyer wants and needs through inquiries, analysis of market statistics, and collaboration with research analyst peers. In addition, an objective ability to predict buying, technology and supplier trends and disruptions to the future of the storage markets is required. An understanding of enterprise and IT Service provider next generation storage buyers and consumers will be a key advantage.
This Research Director’s responsibilities include:
- Leading contributor to storage market share, forecast, and visionary content.
- Producing written research based on interactions with Gartner clients, vendors and analysts, evaluating and analyzing information, and participating in internal Research Community meetings.
- Collaboration with peers and contribution of thought-leadership in establishing company research positions.
- Actively contribute to/lead the Gartner research process by identifying critical issues facing Gartner clients and crafting appropriate research responses to address them via client inquiries, written research, and events/presentations.
- Represent Gartner research methodology, strategies and positions effectively at senior executive level within technology vendor, technology user, government, and investor organizations as well as Gartner events.
- Provide support to the sales organization to renew and develop new business.
- 10+ years of experience working with storage, data center, cloud, and infrastructure software technologies with comprehensive knowledge of storage trends, technologies, and client needs. In addition to a broad understanding of storage concepts and strategies, the applicant should also hold one or more of the following areas of expertise:
- Enterprise Storage
- Cloud Storage
- Backup and Recovery
- Software Defined Storage
- Storage Management
- File Analysis
- Big Data Analytics
- Web-Scale IT
- Solid knowledge of data center, cloud and/or infrastructure storage software industry trends, business models, emerging technologies, and competitive landscape.
- Significant applicable experience within a particular market or industry and to be accepted by clients as an expert. The IT knowledge needed typically entails a deep understanding of the technology as well as the industry and the market of IT solutions, vendors, products and user strategies in specific area(s) of industry.
- Exceptional analytical skills; ability to apply conceptual models, recognizing patterns and drawing and defending conclusions. Ability to develop a fact-based research position and support that position to internal and external clients.
- Ambitious, eager to learn about new technologies both inside and outside their field of expertise and willing to keep their finger on the pulse of the changing IT landscape to meet the demands of our customers
- Articulate and succinct communication skills in English: Excellent presentation and writing skills.
- Strong collaborative skills and ability to work effectively in remote and culturally diverse teams.
- Proven planning and project management skills.
- Available to travel both domestically and internationally.
Job ID 00020121