Data Center Operations Engineer
You will be a member of the Datacenter and Lab Operations team that provide service and support to VMware's R&D Engineering department. The team is responsible for deploying, configuring and handling the R&D equipment within the local labs. The Data Center Engineer will possess extensive technical knowledge, interpersonal and good communication skills to ensure projects and tasks are completed on time and meeting customer expectations. We're looking for an organized, detail-oriented, and results-driven individual who enjoys working in a fast paced environment.Responsibilities:
You're responsible for maintaining the infrastructure that services R&D. This includes day-to-day operation of VMware's data center facility, including, but not limited to:
- Facilitate the deployment and configuration of engineering equipment.
- Prioritizing requests to deploy servers, storage and network devices to meet business deadlines
- Design, support and maintain engineering test environments.
- Troubleshooting of Servers, Storage and Network Hardware, Software, and Configuration of all components
- Participate in the development and documentation of standard methodologies.
- Cable management within the racks
- Understand how to balance power across 3-phase PDU's
- Inventory management for servers, components and cables for operational consistency
- Track and trend operational characteristics within the data center environments
- Track and communicate progress of assignments and projects using web-based tools
- Prepare & present weekly status reports of assignments/projects at weekly staff meetings
- Install/remove/relocate distributed systems, to include: servers, storage, and SAN hardware in the VMware's data centers
- Install/remove/relocate patch cables for systems and storage hardware
- Managing the floor, cabinet space, cooling, power, network port, and all consumable capacities (cables, rail kits, etc)
- Ensure compliance with data center standards, policies, and processes via the defined change control process
- Train/mentor junior level tech staff in various technical areas, systems, network and storage
- Located in or around Wenatachee, WA
- Minimum 4-year degree in Engineering or Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of Linux server administration.
- 2+ years of Windows server administration.
- Deep understanding of VMware ESXi troubleshooting
- General to advanced working knowledge of automation, network principles and tools
- Strong working knowledge of server hardware (rack and blade form factors).
- Previous responsibilities in a complex, enterprise data center environment. Specifically, 4+ years' experience with implementation, maintenance, and analysis of servers, storage, and network
- Good understanding of the electrical and mechanical systems used in a data center environment, including: Generators, UPS systems, ATS units, PDU/PMM units, and CRAC units
- Ability to communicate intelligently and effectively with contractors and vendors who perform maintenance or upgrade work on these systems
- Ability to learn quickly and address issues as they arise during normal working hours, or when on call
- Proven documentation and communication skills
- Self-motivated, able to work independently, and in a team environment
- Ability to work on multiple projects with various groups including Systems Engineers, Storage Engineers, Networking, and Design & Architecture, etc.
- Ability to interpret and translate Customers Requests into action items
- The position has a physical component requiring the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. And may require working in cramped spaces, or elevated locations
- Travel 10% of time to support other locations if needed
Engineering and TechnologySubcategory:
Entry LevelFull Time/ Part Time:
Full TimePosted Date:
Networking & Security: IT departments are spending more on security than ever before, but the damage caused by data breaches keeps getting worse. To solve this problem, VMware's Networking and Security team is challenging traditional thinking about IT security. We take a software-based approach that brings customers new levels of usability and effectiveness in today's fast-changing public and private cloud environments. We're tackling one of IT's toughest problems by helping customers manage networking and security services through a single pane of glass across diverse environments. Our software solutions free IT environments from physical constraints to help them achieve superior agility, tighter security, and faster provisioning. Are you looking for the opportunity to help revolutionize IT security? We invite you to join our tightly knit team that's driven to quickly deliver top-quality solutions to this pressing industry problem. You'll boost your career by working on cutting-edge innovations in the cloud, security, networking, SD-WAN, and container spaces.
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what's possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.