What you’ll be doing:
We are seeking a data center operations specialist to help with the physical aspect of our deployments, including racking and cabling, with an opportunity to grow to provide additional technical value within our organization, such as in areas of network administration and development/automation.
- Structured cabling of power, copper, and fiber network connections.
- Configure and test all hardware for deployment to local and remote sites
- Prepare pallets and supporting documentation (including waybill and export paperwork) for international shipment.
- Work with our data center providers and internal engineering teams to optimize for creating as quick and efficient of a turn-up process as possible; maintain a positive overall relationship with our global vendors. Ideally this would also include a basic proficiency in coding/scripting to develop tools to help with our daily workflow.
- Work with our network and systems engineering teams around turning up new data center locations and incremental rack-level infrastructure, as well as troubleshooting physical server hardware and network devices.
What we’ll expect from you:
- Ability to lift IT equipment, some of which may exceed (40) lbs per unit.
- Data center, Computer Science, or Information Technology education or background required. We are looking for an individual with basic subject-matter experience, though we will provide extensive training around the Packet hardware platform and specific areas of responsibility.
- Linux systems administration and scripting experience is a plus.
- Optical network troubleshooting (e.g. use of a light meter and OTDR/OSA) and termination experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with data center industry, and interacting with remote site technicians, is a plus.
- We are hiring for a full-time (40 hours) position, with an ability to work nights and weekends as required. We will work with the candidate to build an optimal schedule based on his/her working preferences, as well as Packet’s needs to maximize around 24x7 global coverage.