The Data Center Engineering Manager (DCEM) manages resources to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the portfolio's Critical Environment, maximizing up-time and site efficiencies. This position will have responsibility for the regional portfolio and reports to the Director of Engineering and Operations. The DCEM is responsible for the development and implementation of policies and procedures related to the maintenance and operation of Critical Environment space and equipment. Specific duties include but are not limited to: formulate and implement the preventative and predictive maintenance program, scheduling of preventative maintenance with a minimum disruption, performing and/or delegating preventative maintenance tasks to the appropriately qualified maintenance staff in compliance with the performance standards set forth by JLL and the Client. Responsible for engineering design/review and project management supportassociated with these technical areas in highly complex environments. Manage account engineers, consultants, design/build firms, technical staff, and contractors to accomplish objectives. The DCEM will further focus on KPI goals and objectives, Budgets and financial oversight and maintain a strategic view in managing operations of the critical infrastructure; and as an integral team member in the engineering group involved in administrative and Human Resource functions of the group. The candidate's experience must include management of mission critical engineering operations, general building mechanical, electrical, plumbing, life/safety, and EMS/BMS systems.
- Manage and design risk mitigation programs process and procedures designed to enable maximum up-time at a complex data center environment.
- Provide leadership, management and technical oversight for client’s data center Portfolio, which includes critical environments and associated equipment & systems. Ensure proper engineering procedures and standards are being practiced and maintained. Ensure that facilities are operated and maintained safely, efficiently and in first class condition in compliance with the budget and financial plan.
- Provide leadership and management support to Building Engineers who have the responsibility of day-to-day operations and maintenance of the Critical Infrastructure.
- Report abnormal or critical conditions immediately to the relevant Client and JLL Management.
- Analyze equipment downtime ramification and develop contingency plans in the event of equipment failure, and demonstrate strong leadership over incident management.
- Review metrics and compare against industry benchmarks to ensure that the data center portfolio is being managed to meet or exceed KPI’s.
- Establishes the scope of various programs and/or projects, addressing all aspects including but not limited to business requirements, performance specifications, planning, cost, interdependencies, safety and resources. Identifies all resources to be appointed and appoints the same based on clearly documented scopes of work as approved from both the customer and JLL management.
- Establish engineering process and procedures, and provide oversight of JLL engineering team for all staffed sites.
- Provide management and engineering support for the development of complex utility/electrical/mechanical switching scripts and procedures (ie - MOPs, SOPs and Change Management processes).
- Provides input to annual financial plans for operating expense and capital, and support account by identifying, for example, unforeseen emergency expenditures throughout the year.
- Responsible for the creation, monitoring and reporting of cost savings and value add opportunities for the region.
- Responsible for the delivery of Monthly Reports, Dashboards, and Equipment Status Updates providing JLL Management and the Client information on infrastructure critical loads, remaining headroom, equipment “health check”, project status, etc.
- Collaborate with project management in the delivery of projects & construction related activities supporting the critical operations and functions. Review and comment on engineering design documents for adding or upgrading new equipment, and critical infrastructure. Provide recommendations and interpret electrical system coordination, short circuit and capacities as it relates to complex data center & trading operations electrical supply systems.
- Work with teams to ensure that all proper closeout and commissioning procedures are followed including the collection, distribution and storage of all necessary documentation. Assure all operational drawings are updated and assure the critical infrastructure’s configuration management is maintained
- Establish training and monitoring programs to ensure all Operations staff, and contractors performing work in critical facilities are appropriately trained in accordance with critical environment process and procedures.
- Assure the proper safety protocols, EOM and emergency training plans, and are followed and documented per JLL’s corporate standards and client requirements
- Lead or Participate in special engineering studies and audits and analysis with regard to the clients portfolio and infrastructure.
- Four-year college degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Does not require a PE license.
- Minimum of 7 to 10 years experience in critical operations.
- Must have strong familiarity and working knowledge of critical equipment. Strong technical knowledge in electrical systems, electrical generation/distribution, HVAC (specific to the environment), IT systems and critical environments (UPS & Stand-by Power systems), environmental regulations, local building codes, fire and safety systems, preventive and predictive maintenance and diagnostic equipment, etc is needed.
- Must be available 24/7 as needed to support critical operations and events.
- Must have strong relationship-building and collaboration skills.
- Must have skill in negotiating contracts, and preparing RFP's as they relate to critical infrastructures and related maintenance activities
- Must possess excellent verbal & written communication skills including the ability to convey complex technical information in a manner that non-technical individuals can comprehend.
- Must be able to create and interpret the application of relevant policies, procedures, SOP's, regulations, codes, and standards.
- May supervise or oversee the work of building engineers, electricians, IT specialists, mechanics, and vendor contracts & personnel.