As the Phoenix Data Center Manager you will be a member of the Charles Schwab Corporate Real Estate (CRE) organization reporting to the Managing Director, Data Centers and Critical Infrastructure and will be responsible for managing the day to day operations of Schwab’s portfolio of owned and leased data center facilities in the Phoenix region.
The position provides operational, technical, and strategic management for the firm’s data centers and critical facilities infrastructure. This includes support of the broader CRE organization in delivering services, while ensuring the integrity and reliability of the firm’s critical functions are not compromised.
The position will work closely with colocation facility management for leased facilities and our internal facilities management service providers that support owned properties to ensure quality and consistency of client services, and the reliability of all critical building systems.
It is important to note that because of the nature of data centers, this role is “always on” meaning it is expected that you are available 24x7x365, should the need arise.
What you’ll do:
- Provide facilities management oversight of Schwab’s portfolio of owned and leased Data Center locations. The successful candidate will be able to balance the priorities of safety, facility availability, and cost control.
- Foster positive business relationships and collaborative partnerships across multiple organizations such as Technology, Finance, Security, External Service Providers, Project Management, in addition to other CRE peers and senior management.
- Work with Technology, Property Management, and Facilities Management service providers to continuously refine key performance metrics and SLA’s to ensure Schwab’s needs are being met.
- Manage operational efficiency and continuously examine ways to minimize operating expenses while maintaining maximum reliability of critical supportinfrastructure.
- Monitor and drive cost effective best practices consistent with industry standards & benchmarks. Includes predictive tools such as CFD & DCiM applications for capacity and demand analytics.
- Assist in the development and ongoing management of capital and expense budgets for assigned facilities. Review expenses with finance on a regular basis to ensure operating within budgetary guidelines.
- Actively contribute to the development of short and long-term organizational planning for Corporate Real Estate and Property Management as requested.
- Manage environmental & occupational safety, facility availability, and DR contingency planning/execution of Schwab's data centers and critical facilities.
- Participate in special projects and performs other responsibilities as assigned.
- Assist in the response to external and internal audits
What you have:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in electrical or mechanical engineering desirable and/or extensive data center maintenance and operations experience.
- Business management degree or equivalent management experience desirable.
- Minimum of 7 years of facilities management experience specifically with critical facilities and/or data centers.
- Extensive technical knowledge of data center operations, hardware technologies and critical facilitiessupport requirements.
- Knowledge of working safely in a complex infrastructure facility and ability to identify and correct unsafe conditions and/or activities.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills working with complex high availability electrical/mechanical systems such as large redundant UPS systems with complex distribution and Generator paralleling systems.
- Ability to maintain professional and collaborative business relationships, with all levels of management within client organizations and external service provider organizations.
- Ability to coordinate cross-functional IT and Facilities teams.
- Be organized and detail-oriented, ability to work well under deadlines in a changing environment and perform multiple tasks effectively and concurrently.
- Ability to work effectively under high stress conditions, tight deadlines, independently and within a collaborative team oriented environment using sound judgment in decision-making.
- Demonstrate a strong focus on business needs balanced against strategic goals while simultaneously managing complex operations within a multi-purpose technology campus.
- Financial reporting and accountability experiencerequired with focus on facilitiesinfrastructure capital and operating expenses.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer focus and relationship management skills.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Because of the nature of data centers, this role is “always on” meaning it is expected that person filling this position is available 24x7x365 should the need arise.
- Because much of the planned maintenance of the facility occurs after normal business hours, flexibility of work hours is required.
- Ability to travel (<15%) and/or provide technical support other corporate locations as required.
- Strong working knowledge and experience with computer software related to including but not limited to Building Automation Systems, SCADA, Fire Alarm Systems, CADD & CMMS and common business applications such MS Office app suite.