Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started. Facebook is seeking a forward thinking experienced Engineer to join the Production Operations team within Data Center Operations. Our data centers, and the tens of thousands of servers installed in them, are the foundation upon which our rapidly scaling infrastructure efficiently operates and upon which our innovative services are delivered. Facebook is at the leading edge of the global data center industry both in terms of how data centers are designed and operated. This person should enjoy working in a fast-paced environment where adaptability and flexibility will be key to their success. This position is permanent and will be based in Papillion, NE.
We seek an engineering professional with advanced hands-on technical skills in Networks, Server Hardware and Linux (ideally in a Data Center environment). Having extensive knowledge of managing servers and performing complex projects in a large-scale distributed data center environment is a core competency of this individual. Solid communication is a requirement for this role.
The candidate should also have deep knowledge andexperience in at least one of the following core areas: Networking, Project Management, Tool and Automation, Hardware and OS repair.
- Responsible for assisting with all projects and repairs throughout the Data Center.
- Work in teams to maintain data center infrastructure.
- Understand and debug network, hardware, and Linux OS related issues.
- Identify and help create documentation for the global data center knowledge base.
- Track issues and analyze data looking for trends and systemic issues.
- Be forward thinking to support all data center teams to reduce potential risks to upcoming projects.
- Help identify specifications for tools that facilitate deployment, maintaining and decommissioning of server hardware at scale.
- Understand OS Provisioning technologies.
- Analyze and resolve OS Provisioning issues.
- Assist with process improvements and inform best practices in data center operations.
- Provide guidance and technical leadership to Repair Technicians.
- Display an understanding of organizational structure and capability to work with cross-functional teams on a given project.
- Participate in on-call rotation.
- BS, BA or BEng in technical field or commensurate experience.
- 2+ years of technical experience in a data center environment.
- Knowledge of Linux and hardware systems support in an Internet operations environment.
- Knowledge of the interdependencies of data center functions and technologies.
- Experience modifying and developing in Python, SQL and/or shell scripting.
- Knowledge of enterprise level networking and storage equipment installs.
- Knowledge of out-of-band/lights-out server communication methods, such as IPMI and serial console.
- Time and project management experience.
- Experience in modifying and developing in commonly used scripting or programming languages.
- Experience in providing technical guidance to external vendors.