Provide Data Center and Cloud Computing Engineering support to the Air Force Weather Systems Branch in the PEO Digital Directorate (AFLCMC/HB), directly supporting the planning, procurement, testing, implementation, operations and sustainment of Information Technology (IT) components and systems in the Strategic Weather Data Center supporting the AF Weather Enterprise. This position supports the Air Force Weather Systems Branch Operating Location at Offutt AFB, NE.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science (or equivalent education) and 5 years of relevant experience in DoD or commercial Data Centers
- Must have a current Security+ certification. CISSP certification is desirable.
- Must have a strong foundation in IT Data Center systems planning and implementation. Candidates must have experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and demonstrated IT knowledge/experience in at least 3 of the following Data Center technology areas: Networks, Operating Systems, Storage Arrays, Servers, Virtualization, Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, Security scanning/monitoring, directory services and authentication, cross domain guards, load balancing, PKI certificate management, OGC web services, databases, cloud computing, data pipeline, uninterruptible power systems
- Must have the ability to use management/monitoring tools to assess Data Center health, analyze capacity management, and evaluate risks associated with Data Center systems
- Must have experience with complex problem solving techniques and systems engineering
- Must be able to keep accurate documentation of Data Center systems and changes
- Experience with commercial cloud computing environments and/or GOVcloud implementations is highly desired
- Experience with “containerization” approaches for faster deployment of software capabilities is highly desired
- Experience with Visio or AutoCAD is desired.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an IPT environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Candidate must obtain, and maintain, the proper security clearance for this position.
- Travel of up to 1-2 days per month may be required.
SECURITY CLEARANCE/LEVEL REQUIRED:
The Data Center Engineer duties include, but are not limited to:
- Design Data Center infrastructure solutions to meet Air Force functional and shared infrastructure weather community requirements while adhering to architecture standards, policies, baseline management and cybersecurity requirements for the Air Force and DoD
- Analyze requirements to develop accurate technical estimates and cost trades, and produce detailed materiel solution procurement documentation for Data Center solutions and technical refresh activities supporting Air Force Weather functional requirements and common/shared infrastructure capabilities
- Assist program managers with analyzing requirements, developing derived requirements, and crafting technical requirements and guidance for Performance Work Statements associated with needed capabilities
- Perform technical evaluations on vendor proposals for Data Center solutions and technical refresh activities associated with Air Force Weather functional requirements and common/shared infrastructure capabilities
- Develop and maintain technical baseline information for Air Force Weather functional requirements and/or common/shared infrastructure capabilities
- Manage capacity analysis requests and tasks to determine if new requirements can be accommodated by existing systems without increasing risks to mission essential functions.
- Manage and perform detailed reviews on configuration change requests associated for Air Force Weather functional requirements or common/shared infrastructure capabilities to ensure compliance with policies, priorities and the architecture transition plan. Perform audits as necessary following change requests and implementations to maintain accurate technical baseline information.
- Evaluate existing and new weather requirements, develop primary and alternative technical solutions and estimates, and ensure proper and complete systems engineering (to include training, documentation, and logistics) to ensure subsystem and system performance is achieved in accordance with program requirements and specifications.
- Participate in program reviews, IPTs, project implementation meetings, customer meetings, engineering meetings, cybersecurity meetings, and test activities associated with Air Force Weather functional and shared Data Center systems. Author requirements or tasks for prime contractor to perform analysis, design, implementation, or disposal work for a variety of Data Center components, systems, or capabilities.
- Participate in evaluate studies including capacity analysis for new requirements against existing infrastructure systems or capabilities
- Provide system/program engineering, technical support and technical training to support programs/initiatives, including but not limited to: acquisition, development, integration, testing, sustainment, continued evolution, deployment/fielding and installation, and operations oversight
- Provide engineering support services and inputs to program and project risk management activities in compliance with AF SEAM processes