The shift toward the consumption of IT as a service (cloud) is one of the most important changes to happen to our industry in decades. Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) is focused on moving technology from on-premise to an as-a-service model and to help our clients transform themselves to take full advantage of cloud technology. With unmatched hardware and software design, no other company is as well positioned to address the full opportunity of cloud computing.
The Oracle OCI team is looking for a Data Center Design Engineer to join our team, someone who innovates & shares our passion for winning in the cloud marketplace. You will work closely with the data center, development organization and Oracle vendors to build out, maintain and operationally improve the cloud infrastructure.
The successful candidate will focus, in part, on the following key responsibilities:
- Whitespace design from concept to construction level detail & be fully conversant with the design and its subsequent implementation & changes
- Manage and create design of datacenter white space which includes: rack layout, hot/cold containment, network infrastructure, branch circuit distribution, power requirements, cable pathway, and projected build phases.
- Collaborate with colo providers and internal stakeholders to deliver project design criteria and develop Basis of Design
- Ensure Infrastructure Cabling product and installation is in compliance with local & national AHJ requirements, as well as specific MS and manufacturer installation standards
- Coordinate with key internal teams to establish requirements and work with colo providers to ensure requirement are met
- Participate in development of OCI data center facilities requirements documentation
- Research new designs, materials, and construction methods for data center electrical and mechanical equipment and related components
- Create, develop, and maintain datacenter infrastructure site documentation, including floor plans, rack elevations, and cable matrices
- Create, review and evaluate RFI, RFP, and RFQ submittals
- Assist in creating global data center infrastructure standards
- Close liaison with key strategic product manufacturers & suppliers
- Travel to new and existing data centers for engineering analyses
- Meet critical deadlines for project schedules
- Participate in project coordination meetings, and clearly communicate any necessary or recommended updates to project scheduling
- 5+ years of Data Center engineering experience or equivalent
- 3+ years of Product management experience or equivalent
Detailed Description and Job Requirements
- Bachelors degree
- 10+ years business experience including leading system-enabled transformation across operations functions (including planning, operations, strategy)
- Cross-functional partnership, experience navigating across teams with objectives to translate business strategies, initiatives, goals, and objectives into project proposals
- Communication, including up/down/lateral communications experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices for the full program life cycle, including product, costing, and headcount.
Prior development experience with datacenter services and workflows
Define, design, and implement network communications and solutions within a fast-paced, leading edge database/applications company.
Responsible for creating and implementing system enhancements that will improve the performance and reliablility of the system. Manage the load configurations of a central data communication processor and make recommendations for purchase or upgrade of data networks. Coordinate terminal orders and cable installation, network system planning, upgrading, monitoring, testing, and servicing. Approves action requests and specifies purchase requisitions. Negotiates and places orders with common carriers. May play a team leader role for developing System Administrators.
Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. Eight years of related experience in a medium to large network distributed and computing environment. BS in Computer Science or related field.Oracle is an Affirmative Action-Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veterans status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.