Amazon Web Services (AWS) is seeking a Data Center Civil/Geotechnical Engineer to join its design team.
As a Data Center Civil/Geotechnical Engineer at AWS, you will lead Civil Engineering designs for Amazon Data Centers. You will also be responsible for providing technical guidance and oversight on geotechnical issues related to construction projects. You will be part of a highly creative and efficient design team comprised of Architects, Engineers, and Designers tasked with solving problems and challenging the status quo. As a subject matter expert, you will have a direct impact on the design of prototypical Data Center sites, provide technical design guidance and vendor oversight, solve large-scale implementation issues, and build a strong understanding of site design and program requirements.
Amazon's Data Centers are industry leading examples of innovation in the areas of space utilization, energy efficiency, and cost effectiveness. We are known for our speed to market and reliability. This role sits within Americas Design Engineering team responsible for the design and operation of critical Data Center facilities located throughout North and South America. Our Design Team is on the forefront of creating and delivering the most innovative products to our customers; and are known for being a diverse and upbeat team that is changing the face of Cloud Computing.
We continue to grow and are looking for motivated team members that can support our speed to market, raise the bar, and have a desire for professional growth and continuous learning. Amazon's work environment is unique in every aspect and offers an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate. At Amazon we highly support continued learning opportunities and focus on continued employee development.
Key job responsibilities
- Analyze data collected during geotechnical investigations to identify potential geotechnical hazards that may affect the project's design, construction, or operation.
- Provide technical guidance to project managers, contractors, and other stakeholders on geotechnical issues such as foundation design, slope stability, earthworks, pavement design, and groundwater control.
- Manage our external civil design consultants through the Data Center design and construction process.
- Review designs for site layout, grading, power substations, storm water, utilities, and pavement.
- Coordinate with internal and external MEP design engineers.
- Effectively communicate design standards to internal and external project partners.
- Communicate conceptual designs and create/maintain project documentation before, during, and after construction.
- Develop and maintain design standards, design prototypes, and template specifications related to site design for Data Centers and supporting infrastructure.
- Coordinate with AWS Due Diligence and Real Estate teams to determine site selection criteria and review Due Diligence reports.
- Create, review, and release design RFPs for various projects, including DCs and special program facilities.
- Manage multiple fast paced projects simultaneously. Foresee and manage internal Technical Program Manager's (TPM's) expectation regarding project-specific cost and schedules variables.
- Lead initiatives aimed at improving cost, quality, schedule, and consistency
- Travel for site assessments, internal design meetings, construction review, and interfacing with authorities having jurisdiction. Anticipated travel is approximately 25%.
About the team
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world's most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud
platform. We pioneered cloud computing and never stopped innovating - that's why customers from the most successful startups to Global 500 companies trust our robust suite of products and services to power their businesses.
We value work-life harmony. Achieving success at work should never come at the expense of
sacrifices at home, which is why flexible work hours and arrangements are part of our culture.
When we feel supported in the workplace and at home, there's nothing we can't achieve in the
Mentorship & Career Growth
We have a career path for you no matter what stage you're in when you start here. We're continuously raising our performance bar as we strive to become
Earth's Best Employer
That's why you'll find endless knowledge-sharing, mentorship and other career-advancing
resources here to help you develop into a better-rounded professional.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Austin, TX, USA | Columbus, OH, USA | Herndon, VA, USA | Seattle, WA, USA
- Professional Engineering License
- 5+ years professional experience in commercial, warehouse, and/or industrial site-civil design experience.
- ABET accredited BS in Civil Engineering
- Proficiency with geotechnical engineering standards to review investigations and assessments to determine soil and rock conditions, site suitability, and potential hazards.
- 2+ years' experience in civil design for Data Centers or Telecom facilities with working knowledge of land use and land development conventional practices.
- Ability to utilize scheduling software to depict land-use approval critical path dependency activities
- Knowledge of mission critical equipment and systems, design process, pre-construction requirements and the construction process
- Direct experience with design or construction administration of a variety of electrical distribution systems ranging from low voltage to high voltage.
- Proficiency in building codes, regulations, and standards including IBC and ASCE.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate the design and constructability of site design by third-party consultants.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple fast paced projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
- Motivated, dependable, and capable of working with some oversight.
- Ability to travel internationally
- Proficient in AutoCAD, Bluebeam, and MS Office Suite software.
- Professional experience demonstrates Amazon's Leadership Principles in action.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $93,500/year in our lowest geographic market up to $185,000/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.