The Data Platform Architecture team in the Core Data Platform organization is responsible for architecture and design of the data on PayPal’s live site that strengthens the existing data platforms for our customers, improves the core experiences of our customers on these data platforms, and builds new data platforms for the future needs of our customers.
As a Data Engineer on the Data Platform Architecture team you will be responsible for being a trusted partner with several of PayPal’s various business unit domain specific product engineering organizations to design and deliver their data solutions that support their defined high priority business initiatives.
- You will be embedded in these product engineering teams in a key data engineering specific role as part of their development team contributing on their data specific deliverables from design through to their production deployment of the data.
- You will collaborate with product engineering data developers to together build the data access patterns and associated data structures to support them. You will be designing schemas, tables, indexes in SQL data stores (such as Oracle and MySQL), designing JSON documents and key value structures in NoSQL data stores, and ensure these designs align with and comply with PayPal’s specific enterprise data architecture and design standards for each of the data stores.
- You will design these data access patterns and associated data structures to ensure they meet both the functional business requirements of the business initiatives and also ensure they meet the essential system qualities (a.k.a. as the non-functional requirements) such as security, availability, performance, scalability.
- Together with your partners in product engineering, you will be a customer champion who identifies opportunities to more efficiently and or effectively manage the data in the data platform in ways that reduce the data securityrisks, that make the data solution more fault tolerant, that enable the data to be horizontally scaled, and that improve the query performance to create an improved experience for our customers. Not only are these opportunities identified but you will drive these data platform improvements to be delivered.
- You will analyze new and existing code that accesses the data as well as the associated data platform configurations to identify and deploy changes that improve the performance. You will identify sub-optimal queries and do the hands-on query performance tuning and associated performance recommendations on how to re-factor these sub-optimal queries.
- Demonstrated experience and care for holding the customer’s interests in the fore front and good customer service success.
- Experience and demonstrated ability to deliver ideas, concepts, and presentations to senior management and senior leadership teams.
- Demonstrable track record supporting internal and external customers and working with cross-functional technical and non-technical teams to define requirements and follow systematic processes to identify, test and deploy best in class data related technologies and mature devops processes.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems analytically and create action plans through the analysis of infrastructure and application level data.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Computer Science or related field with 5+ years of work experience in a technical role.
- 5+ years of experience in designing, building, supporting and troubleshooting the performance of highly scalable and available Products/Platforms on the Internet.
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.