CAI is seeking a Senior Data Modeler / Data Architect to work for our client in Dover, DE.
Principal responsibilities include providing technical functions in support of data administration and integration along with managing data as an asset and to promote data-sharing statewide.
The Data Modeler will report to the Manager responsible for the particular business area.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Responsible for evaluating user requests for new solutions, modifications to existing solutions, and system integration of off the shelf products. Solutions can be defined as data models, data conversion, or data integration. Reviews customer requests to determine if it requires creating new solutions or modifying existing solutions as it relates to the data. Performs research and gathers information to determine feasibility, appropriateness, cost and time required for solutions. Prepares detailed estimates in order to obtain approval to proceed. Prepares data requirements for solutions.
- Analyzes and designs data models, coordinates database development, and performs in-depth data analysis by applying knowledge of data design standards and data quality practices. Identifies and resolves production and/or applications problems related to the design and/or quality of the data. Maintains the data models in the central repository by working the development teams across the state. Creates system and user documentation for solutions. Monitors production solutions and system performance.
- Provides training and mentors less experienced team members. Data Modeler should be capable of working on large number of projects simultaneously while also providing production support.
- The Data Modeler must be a fast learner with excellent communication, written, and problem solving skills, and able to work with minimal supervision as part of a multidisciplinary team. The Data Modeler must be able to work well with a diverse group of team members to deliver solutions on time, on budget and within specifications.
Data Integration Development
Design, code, test, debug and document complex data integration solutions. Writes well-documented code to assure proper code maintenance in the future. Participate in code reviews and walkthroughs. Mentoring others in data integration.30%Modeling and Reporting
Responsible for large and complex data models, creating complex data matrices, and mentoring others in reporting and data modeling.20%Project Planning
Manages data analyst project tasks including providing estimates; customer management for data modeling, data integration, and reporting; promote data modeling and data sharing across the state; and supervising data analyst positions.15%Analysis/Research
Perform business/quantitative analyses and re-engineer poor workflows. Evaluates and recommends a custom build solution versus use of a commercial off-the-shelf product.
Research new approaches and evaluate new software tools and techniques.15%Technical Support
Monitor mission critical systems and provide post-implementation and production support as an on-call programmer.10%Staff Supervision / Administration
Interview candidates, mentor junior staff, assist in preparation of performance plans.5%Personal development
Technology & I/T disciplines training, technical research, participate in team & other meetings5%
Technical experience should include the Development of strategies for data integrations and acquisitions, and implementation of reporting solutions. Must be able to design, develop and manipulate databases, data warehouses and multidimensional databases. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Technical proficiencies should be classified as Intermediate. There should be a firm understanding demonstrated through education, certification and work experience of Sybase PowerDesigner, Crystal Reports or Cognos and IBM DataStage and or other industry leading tools. Specific technical components and/or skills required are listed below.
- Minimum of 7 years experience of data management concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in data technologies with at least 2+ years in data modeling, data integration and reporting. Strong skills in design, development and testing using Sybase PowerDesigner, Crystal Reports and IBM DataStage and other equivalent tools in the industry.
- Strong skills in using data modeling tools for client server and mainframe repositories.
- Possess experience in reporting applications with knowledge of Crystal Reports or Cognos a plus.
- Strong understanding of data integration security concepts and trends for developing secure data integration applications.
- Demonstrated self-starter and self-directed worker; good judgment in when and how to engage other parties, especially management.
- Knowledgeable of and experienced in Quality Management principles and practices, including a genuine belief in the effectiveness of applying them in day-to-day activities.
- Solid “people skills”, including proven ability to accept direction from management and provide direction to junior staff; able to provide valuable advice to management regarding Performance Plans, Development Plans, and Performance Evaluations.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written); effective group presentation skills a plus. Able to communicate very effectively with other DTI technical staff, vendors and customers; when required, communicates satisfactorily with senior IT management.
- A genuine “team player” focused on excellence in internal and external customer service; demonstrated ability to contribute positively in conflict situations, willing to pursue and reach consensus based on overall organization goals.
- Committed to strong discipline in the areas of problem and change management; ideally has operated in an environment with formal processes in these areas.
- Strong analytical skills, with particular emphasis on identifying creative solutions to IT problems within applicable constraints.
- Flexibility is a highly valued characteristic given the dynamic nature of IT in general and DTI in particular. Must be comfortable in a setting where policies, procedures and practices are in a continuous state of evolution.
Bachelor’s Degree in an I/T discipline strongly preferred, or equivalent work experience.