LabCorp is seeking a Data Architect for it's Burlington, NC location. This position will help mature the company's Data Architecture and Data Management practices and guide new application platforming decisions.
LabCorp is currently working on a major new effort to reengineer our revenue processes and develop a new patient- centric focus across the company. As part of these initiatives, the IT department is playing a key role by retooling to use cutting-edge technologies and development processes. The Data Architect will be a key member of this team and will help lead the overall logical design of new information models as well as the integration of disparate data sources to help the core development teams merge legacy data into the new system architectures.
Summary of Position
LabCorp is looking for a hands-on analyst, technologist and architect who has deep experience in Enterprise Data Architecture, information management, data governance, data warehousing and analytics technologies to provide us with tactical and strategic direction in the areas of standardization, governance, data quality, data strategy, lifecycle management, and business intelligence analytics. This will apply across platforms, products and geographical areas,
- The Data Architect will develop a detailed knowledge of LabCorp data and data products and become a subject matter expert on content, current and potential future uses of data, and the quality and interrelationship between core elements of the data repositories and data products.
- This individual will play a key role in maturing LabCorp's practices in the areas of lifecycle management, data quality, governance, and metadata management.
- The Data Architect will consult with the staffs from information technology, data analytics, product creation and development to manage POCs, and create white papers, architectural documents, presentations, scripts, queries, and test databases as needed to support tooling, new product development, and overall maturing of the Data Architecture and Data Management capabilities.
- This individual will possess a combination of business knowledge, technical skills, and people skills to define and guide data strategy.
- The individual will also have physical databaseexperience to the extent that he/she can evaluate new application requirements against the available platform options, and drive the discussion on appropriate platforming.
Specific Areas of Focus Include:
- Performs a key management and thought leadership role in the areas of data modeling and standards, data quality, data integration, data visualization, lifecycle management, text mining, data discovery, analytics, database design and implementation--all in an Agile context.
- Works with the Enterprise Data Architect to define and drive the data strategy roadmap for the Enterprise and identify new product opportunities
- Creates Information Models as well as Conceptual, Logical, and Physical data models for new high-visibility projects.
- Responsibilities will include setting the overall vision, helping define the maturity model for data, building frameworks for domains such as data quality or ILM, gathering requirements, gaining business consensus, performing vendor and product evaluations for new data-oriented tools, mentoring business and development
resources, training and documentation.
- Helps drive the creation of the Enterprise Models and Governance practices suitable for LabCorp
- Participation in ongoing decisions concerning data collection, design, tiring, retention, and data quality analyses
- Establishing standards, best practices, and guidelines for the design, development, tuning, deployment and maintenance of information, advanced data analytics, and physical data persistence/virtualization technologies.
- Participates in Business Intelligence projects by identifying/providing the appropriate data, and working with the analytics group to ensure implementation using both Agile and Waterfall methods.
- Draws conclusions and effectively communicates findings with both technical and business team members, providing active leadership skills across project team and business community.
- Provides oversight for the efforts of Data Analysts/Modelers
License/Certification/Education: Normally requires a B.S. Degree in Computer Science w/5-7 years of experience.Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 10 years of experience in IT working on mid-to-large-scale software delivery based projects. 5+ years in a Data Architect role providing information architecture services to an IT shop.
- Technical expertise with several of the following----data models, database design, data quality, analytics, ILM,
- data standards, and physical design techniques
- Familiarity with 1-2 data modeling tools. ER/Studio a big plus
- Expert level knowledge of SQL querying language
- Ability to translate broader business initiatives into clear team objectives and concrete individual goals, aligning appropriately with other groups for efficient, coordinated action.
- Experience working with an Enterprise Logical or Analytic Data Warehouse implementation
- Experience with multiple markets leading relational database platforms: Oracle, DB2, SQL Server
- Some experience with NoSQL database solutions such as Hadoop Hive, Hbase, Mongo, Couch DB, Cassandra
- Good understanding of database theory
- Experience with data warehouse modeling including cubes, rollups, snowflake/star schemas.
- Experience implementing Data Management practices such as standardization, data quality, ILM, data inventory, data lineage, data classification/categorization, business glossary development, and metadata management.
- Great presentation and communication skills, and ability to communicate with multiple audiences (business, technical, legal)
- Experience conducting POCs of new technology, and providing thought leadership at the highest levels
- A solid understanding of key B1 trends
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience with real-time data processing in high volume transactional environment
- Domain experience: Healthcare
- Experience using ER-Studio modeling tool, experienced in model compare and model migration, Repository processing, database generation, reverse engineering existing databases, compare and merge functions.
- Experience using ER-Studio Macros.
- Experience with Master Data Management tools such as IBM or Talend
- Experience with CDC (real-time replication)
- Experience with unstructured and semi-structured data
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing large datasets (R, Excel, SPSS, SAS)
- Management experience with director dotted line reports