This position will play a vital role in the company's success related to the implementation of the KCS Enterprise Data Warehouse and Self-Service Reporting platform. The analyst is responsible for pulling data from various sources to provide accurate and detailed information to multiple customers both inside and outside of the company. The position works closely with business leaders and managers to ensure that regular data analysis is documented in a complete and accurate manner for every reporting and analytics initiative. The ideal candidate will be a process oriented critical thinker, savvy with data exploration and mining and proficient with BI technology. The analyst must be able to communicate effectively with cross-functional teams throughout the organization. The railroad industry operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and therefore, the candidate for the position must be available to work non-standard business hours to facilitate project priorities - including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays as necessary.
- Acquires data from primary or secondary data sources and maintain databases/data systems
- Ensures data is acquired on time, accurate and is disseminated properly
- Exhibits expertise in modeling structured and semi-structured date across a multifunctional platform
- Applies expert level modeling techniques based on business requirements, while balancing system and database performance
- Manages data, reporting, and analytics and is an expert in mashing disparate data and data sources to build unified data models
- Creates data transformation rules and mapping
- Works with business leaders to embed data review process within their day to day business operations
- Analyzes data and communicates results to appropriate stakeholders
- Creates and executes queries utilizing various data sources to provide information
- Researches, analyzes and translates business requirements into technical data design and data models.
- Designs and develops DDL scripts, ad hoc queries and data models for high performance projects and deliverables. Understands and evaluates existing SQL scripts and Data Models.
- Demonstrates ability to communicate technical recommendations to a non-technical audience in a clear and concise manner.
- Demonstrates ability to understand logical relationships and to ensure that programming faithfully replicates these relationships.
- Demonstrates ability to test and validate programming steps
- Possesses knowledge of various database platforms (i.e., DB2, SAP, MS SQL Server) required and experience with one or more of the following: Power BI, Informatica, Azure Cloud, IoT, MuleSoft or AQT
- Functions as the lead for BI-SDLC projects. Collaborates and work closely with business analysts, system and cloud data architects, ETL integration specialists and the Power BI dashboard development team.
- Exemplifies KCS Vision, Values, and Culture in each and every interaction with team, clients, and stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Computer Science, Electronics, Engineering or a related technical discipline
- Five (5) years of experience as a programmer, programmer/analyst, systems analyst, database analyst, database manager or data warehouse specialist
- Three (3) years of hands-on experience with data modelling tools such as ERWin, ER Studio, etc.
- Three (3) years of experience in analyzing data integration requirements in a data warehouse and/or application integration scenarios
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience with data science initiatives requiring machine learning, streaming analytics, predictive and prescriptive enterprise analytics highly preferable
- Microsoft Office Suite with advanced skills
- Project/program management experience