The Data Analytics team plays the critical role of providing analytical support across Upstart's organization to enable data-driven decision making. We leverage our analytical and technical skills to help our partners with a multitude of services, some of which include understanding our underwriting models and presenting on trends in our loan performance, analyzing market size opportunities, creating financial models, developing our business intelligence pipeline to enable self-service reporting, and architecting/automating of work processes.
Our team prioritizes having fun first. We value candidates who enjoy actively contributing to conversations. We believe that seeing the human in others allows us to work more cohesively and to safely challenge each other. A happy team is a performing team.
As the Data Analytics Manager, Accounting at Upstart, you will own and scale data reporting in support of our Accounting team. You will be a critical member of Upstart’s analytics team that develops and automates our business critical financial reports, collaborates with Product and Engineering to implement reporting process improvement, and ensures our reporting processes are SOX compliant. Through your efforts, we’ll be able to ensure reporting accuracy and consistency across the company to monitor and report loan performance. If you are naturally curious, love data, and can communicate complex concepts with technical and non-technical people, this could be a great opportunity for you.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Partner with Accounting, Audit, Product, and Engineering teams to define, develop, and support our monthly financial reporting.
- Own data reporting process, proactively identify data quality and integrity issues that affect the accuracy of reporting.
- Operates as a subject matter expert on financial modeling and financial impact analysis in relation to the fair value estimation of Upstart’s loan assets, servicing rights, and Asset Backed Securities.
- Provide hands-on technical leadership to identify, research, interpret, catalog, source, manipulate, and enrich Upstart’s structured and unstructured data assets to facilitate effective analytics. Develop subject matter expertise in domain, analytic and data assets.
- Formulate and apply mathematical modeling and other optimizing methods to develop and interpret business information and the key metrics that measure loan performance.
- Create reports and dashboards in BI tools such as Looker. Monitor trends in relevant metrics and report on key insights on a daily basis.
- Work with various big data platforms, databases and systems such as AWS, Redshift and other big data technologies.
- Participate in data modeling and architecture discussion, influence data products roadmap, and take ownership and responsibility of new projects.
- Work closely with engineering teams to ensure quick turnaround on fixes. Take ownership of communicating changes to the appropriate end-users.
- Work with data service providers to explore APIs, analyze and forecast the impact of integrating new data sets. Work with Engineering throughout the entire process of on-boarding new data sets.
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum requirements:
- BS/MS Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Economics, Finance, or other highly quantitative/analytical field
- 5+ years of professional experience performing data analytics that influence business decision making
- Strong communication with client-facing and executive level data presentation skills
- Industry experience with focus on capital markets, finance, or accounting
- Experience creating financial models using tools like Excel and Google Sheets
- Experience in leading a team of analysts and leading large, cross-functional projects
- Proven ability to learn quickly, work independently, and adapt to change in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in data analytics tools such as Python or R and BI/reporting tools such as Looker, Tableau, or Power BI
- Organized and able to juggle multiple tasks while still meeting deadlines
- Preferred qualifications:
- Previous consumer marketplace lending industry experience
- Experience with Amazon Redshift and SQL querying
- Experience in project management & documentation using tools such as Jira and Confluence
What you’ll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Personal Development and Technology & Ergonomic Budgets
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Clubs and Activities (Game Nights, Fitstarters, Superwomen, Book Club, Investing Club, Money Discussions, Photography Club and Basketball teams)
- Generous vacation policy
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks