What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Markel Corporation, a Fortune 500 Insurance Holding Company, is seeking a Data Analyst. This position is responsible for creating, maintaining, updating and communicating reporting frameworks and analysis to support and further enable refinement of risk guidelines/selection, profitability, service and/or efficiency of process within the Specialty Division of Markel.
While being part of a team of analysts, the position/individual will regularly collaborate with various functions within the organization. The ideal candidate will possess strong problem solving abilities, strong interpersonal skills, handle multiple concurrent projects/assignments while working both independently and with teams.
- Create and deliver consolidated reporting mechanisms and segmentation analysis to supportrisk guidelines, process changes and pricing approach decisions.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of available reporting mechanisms, technology infrastructures and frameworks, data structures and definitions used to produce and maintain operational, transactional and financial metrics in support of assigned departments.
- Analyze various aspects of business activity to support management decision making and operational tracking and work diligently to find resolutions to road blocks and educate/intercede when necessary on customer's behalf to ensure satisfactory resolution is identified.
- Apply concepts such as probability, statistics, modeling, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical solutions
- Works with mathematical concepts such as averages and/or variances
- Analyze information and to evaluate the implications of a course of action or solution
- Interpret and apply common sense understanding to carry out a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
- Solve problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Evaluate trends in data or information
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience of report and data analytics
- Strong working knowledge of SQL
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Visio, Word)
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong team player
- Flexibility and attention to details and completeness