- BA/BS and 6 years of relevant analytical or quantitative work experience, or an advanced degree with a minimum of 4 years of experience in areas directly related to the position. Experience must include a minimum of three years of experience analyzing healthcare data such as inpatient/outpatient clinical records, labs, medications, provider data, and/or claims.
- Proficiency in SQL with demonstrated query development and report writing experience.
- Knowledge of healthcare data management concepts and regulatory/compliance policies (HIPAA, IRB, etc.).
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
- Superior human relation skills, such as, the ability to use positive language communications to serve and influence our customers and stakeholders.
- Knowledge of clinical data and healthcare code sets (ICD9/ICD10, NDC/RXNorm, LOINC, etc.).
- Strong customer-facing experience, preferably with physicians, investigators, faculty/academic and research support staff.
- Clinical research experience is a plus.
About the Job
Work with faculty and research personnel to understand and document clinical information needs and project aims from both a clinical and technical/informatics perspective.
- Meet with new and potential users to provide an introduction to available Informatics services.
- Capturing requirements for various types of research projects (observational studies, quality and operational projects, study recruitment, etc .).
- Ensure complete researcher satisfaction with theirexperienceas a customer of the Best Practices Informatics Core (BPIC) offerings:
- Coordinate user testing/usability evaluation of new services, tools, and forms rolled out by BPIC
- Keep the Biomedical health Informatics (CTSI-BMHI) Director, senior management and other key stakeholders informed of BPIC service delivery progress, delays and issues that may impact BPIC service delivery goals through regular communications. Represent ICS in relating issues to Privacy Officer, Data Stewards (Fairview and UMP), and AHC-IE Architecture Workgroups.
- Help to develop and manage process maps, related standard operating procedures and forms, for researchers/end users to improve satisfaction of researchers and ensure compliance with security, access, and archiving policies in place.
- Continually seek to improve knowledge of new data sets and data enhancements to AHC Information Exchange Clinical Data Repository (CDR).
Serve as an informatics consultant.
- Communicate with Data Stewards from different organizations to most effectively deliver data to researchers in a manner that meets HIPAA compliance standards, contractual obligations of the University of Minnesota and the needs of the requesting researcher .
- Meet with researchers when their data sets are delivered to:
- Ensure that the data are what they are seeking
- Train the researchers, as needed, how best to work with their data
- Assist with refinements when requested
- Capture general needs and wants that could feed back to AHC IE development
Respond to requests for consultation and work with team members (analysts, developers, researchers) to provide deliverables in a timely manner.
- Work on a proactive approach to addressing the need for clinical data registries across the AHC
Capture data-driven system design requirements that can be passed to the system architects and software engineers on our team for implementation.
- Gather requirements for clinical reporting and ensure data elements are available, complex formulas understood, and communicated to report writers.
- Investigate ways of identifying patients when data elements are not clear or available.
- When key tables that are currently not available, work closely with AHC IE and AHC IS team to identify and prioritize which tables/columns come over to the CDR.