Chicago Public Schools (CPS) is the third largest school district in the United States, serving over 350,000 students in 600+ schools and employing nearly 36,000 people, most of them teachers. CPS has set ambitious goals to ensure that every student, in every school and every neighborhood, has access to a world-class learning experience that prepares each for success in college, career and civic life. In order to fulfill this mission we make three commitments to our students, their families and all Chicagoans: academic progress, financial stability and integrity. Six core values are embedded within these commitments – student centered, whole child, equity, academic excellence, community partnership and continuous learning.
Reporting to the Director of Compliance & Training in the Office of Student Protections and Title IX, which now includes the Equal Opportunity Compliance Office, the Data Analyst is responsible for managing the collection, evaluation, and reporting of data to ensure that our protection processes and responses are in line with district compliance standards.
The Data Analyst will be held accountable for the following responsibilities:
- Understand data to extract information aligned to business requirements;
- Perform analysis on complex data sets to provide relevant and actionable information;
- Evaluate data for integrity and consistency;
- Identify anomalies in data to trace the source of inaccuracies;
- Identify data trends to recommend best practices and process improvements;
- Summarize data to provide topline reports and graphic representation through dashboards and presentations;
- Develop, implement, and manage data collection systems and other strategies to optimize data collection efficiency and data quality;
- Continuously locate and define new process improvement opportunities for the collection and reporting of data;
- Partner with subject matter experts to identify additional data needs; and
- Performs additional ad hoc duties as assigned.
Type of Education Required:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Master’s degree a plus.
Type of Experience Required:
- Minimum of 3-5 years of data mining and data analysis experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expertise in applying a variety of statistical techniques to interpret and analyze data;
- Expert user of Microsoft and Google office suites;
- Ability to write advanced queries and produce reports;
- Ability to acquire data from primary or secondary data sources;
- Ability to maintain databases;
- Ability to create pivot tables;
- Strong analytical, organizational, and communication skills;
- Refined judgement with the ability to manage highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to bring projects to a close with minimal supervision;
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, respond immediately to multiple constituencies, and meet continuous critical deadlines;
- Ability to build relationships, establish collaborative partnerships, and work with a wide range of constituencies with diplomacy and tact;
- Skilled multi-tasker and excellent time manager;
- Ability to simultaneously achieve multiple goals and manage multiple projects; and
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to produce consistent high-quality work;