As an integral member of our Analytics practice, the Data Analyst is responsible for enhancing the ability to make data-driven decision via thoughtful analysis of data assets. This includes both understanding a relevant set of business questions/scenarios and also understanding how to derive the most valuable insights from a particular data set. Critical to this role is also determining when a data set is not sufficient to answer a particular question or produce a metric. The data analyst will partner withinternal and client teams to be an expert in 'mining the data' for pieces of information that provide extended or unique perspective to a set of business decision makers. This person will know what methods should be tested or leveraged and can prioritize analysis to derive informative outcomes in a reasonable timeline. The ideal candidate is very curious about data in general and not only loves to analyze data but discuss and communicate results with a variety of audiences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Work directly with internal teams (BI Architects, Practice Director, Client Directors) to deliver analytics products and services. Responsibilities include:
* Excellent ability to assess the quality of a given data set, and understand the potential correlation to a business problem or set of problems.
* Demonstrated knowledge of various methods of data analysis, from simple summary statistics to multi-variate or possibly predictive approaches.
* Ability to prioritize and sequence analysis approaches to maximize the likelihood of finding interesting insight early in the analysis phase.
* Proactively communicate progress and status of analysis, including summarizing findings for non-technical audiences.
* In-depth knowledge of data hygiene and ability to implement strategies to solve common issues.
* Ability to develop process that is repeatable and also flexible, to make adjustment easier as business needs change.
* Confidence to present analysis findings along-side Practice Director, Client Director, and other team members. Ability to ask clarifying questions or explain results clearly in client meetings.
* High level of adaptability as new business questions or data sets become relevant.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Thorough knowledge of Excel.
* In-depth knowledge of at least one database platform (SQL server, AWS, Azure, Hadoop, etc.) and how to extract data from those platforms.
* Excellent knowledge of data analysis methodologies, from generating summary statistics to identifying trends over time dimensions, to correlations and multi-variate analysis.
* Experience with R or Python preferred.
* Knowledge of BI and/or Advanced Analytics use cases, common approaches.
* Ability to summarize findings into Power Point or other client briefing formats.
* Thorough knowledge of data quality issue identification and management. Must be able to proactively identify key data issues that impact the overall quality of resulting insight.
* Ability to think creatively about how data can be used to answer a question.
* Curiosity about data and the stories that can be created, with an eye for accuracy and common sense outcomes.
Education and Experience
*Bachelor's degree in BI, Analytics, Data Science, Economics, or similar.
* 5+ years' hands-on experience with one or more BI tools (Power BI, Excel, Tableau, Domo, etc.)
* 3+ years' in consultative role (either with a consulting firm or serving as internal consultant to various business groups) that required understanding a business problem ahead of designing or re-designing a solution.
* Ability to summarize and present results for both technical and non-technical audiences.
* A portfolio or previous work, demonstrating thoughtful analysis and ability to produce insight related to a business problem.