Job Summary and Description:
Plans, designs, and controls the progress of complex project work within the technical department to meet member/client objectives; prepares and presents research reports.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead/participate in technical research projects focusing on cyber security of systems for DER (Distributed Energy Resources), Smart Inverters, Photo Voltaic Generation, Energy Storage Systems, EVSE (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment) or other grid-edge related technologies
- Lead/participate in technical research projects focusing on cyber security of IoT devices supporting Demand Response or Home/Building Automation
- Lead/participate in technical research projects focusing on cyber security of systems supporting Power Transmission and Distribution, SCADA, Smart Grid and other cyber-physical systems
- Identify new areas of research that will help members to enhance cyber security in power delivery systems
- Create a project proposal, identify necessary resources and solicit support through the appropriate channels
- Leads proposal efforts and new promotional work
- Work in a team effectively, support other team members in achieving common goals, promote collaboration with other EPRI programs, sectors or external partners
- Effectively communicate the purpose, progress, technical contents and value of research projects clearly and accurately both in written and spoken format
- Manages small to medium level projects without direct people management responsibilities.
- Assumes responsibility for highly specialized technical objectives or problems where the relationships between cause and effect are difficult to establish and little or no precedence exists and the use of creative imaginative thinking is required
- Influences project teams in the engineering aspects of the technical work
- Provides input into configuration management and documentation for engineer related projects
- Maintains familiarity with the progress and problems in assigned technical areas
- Prepares proposals, technical publications, and delivers presentations
- Leads national and international technical networks with manufacturers, consultants, academia and research organizations
- Works independently on technical activities without direct supervision
Additional Job Information:
- Bachelor's Degree in a technical field or equivalent experience required
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 8-10 years of engineering experience or comparable work/educational experience.
- Ability to recognize strategic issues and build collaborative projects.
- Required limited supervision and guidance
- Responsible for the success of individual projects
- Works closely with members, contractors, staff to manage projects
- Experience in successful proposal preparation, and marketing activities.
- Manages multiple projects
- Responsible for project budgets, schedules, deliverables, and technology transfer
- Shows maturity of technical expertise and assumes responsibility for highly specialized technical objectives
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Individual contributor
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Increasing technical depth/breadth to become a subject matter expert
- Experience in designing and implementing communication networks for IoT/IIoT, distributed energy resource (DER) and/or demand-response systems
- In-depth knowledge of security aspects of various telecommunication technologies used in IoT/IIoT, SCADA, Smart Grid or other cyber-physical systems
- Experience in evaluating cyber security of cloud-based services and IoT/IIoT systems
- Experience in implementing technical security controls in IoT/IIoT systems
- Experience in technical security assessment, vulnerability assessment or network penetration testing in IoT/IIoT environment .