As a Customer Support Engineer, you’ll spend your first 2-4 months immersed in learning Neo4j’s products, support and other internal processes, and working support cases from customers to build up the appropriate level of experience and insight needed to deliver the level of support Neo4j’s customers have come to appreciate and expect. You will also have the opportunity to become deeply skilled in specific areas of interest within the product, acting as a Subject Matter Expert for our Field Engineering team, including Support. Last but not least, you will be an integral part of the Support Engineering team, working together to improve and evolve the product and the support we deliver to meet the needs of our customers and opportunities for graph solutions in the market.
A Customer Support Engineer at Neo4j is comfortable troubleshooting technical issues, speaking with customers about their needs, questions, and concerns, and working with their colleagues as part of a growing team distributed across the globe. Specific qualifications for the role include:
- Ability to handle a range of urgent to minor support requests during business hours, with occasional off-hours scheduled work and on-call shifts.
- Establish and constantly build upon a solid technical understanding of Neo4j and how our customers build, deploy and manage applications using our graph platform.
- Collaborate effectively within Customer Success, Product Engineering, and other Neo4j teams to understand and resolve customer issues completely and expediently.
- Constantly work to streamline and improve processes, tools, Neo4j’s product offerings, and the overall customer experience.
- Know when to seek help, and always be willing and open to offering expertise and assistance to colleagues and customers alike.
- Effectively communicate with all levels of customer contacts including CTOs, management, developers and operations teams.
- Provide valuable guidance and insight through email, telephone, remote conferencing and occasionally in-person engagements.
- Work with Product Management and Product Engineering to help define and drive fixes and enhancements to address customer needs.
- Passion for solving Customer problems.
- Take responsibility and ownership with Customer problems.
- Timely triage varying issues based on error messages, log files, threads dumps, stack traces, sample code, and other available data points.
- Troubleshoot performance issues in JVM based software (4j means for Java).
- Consult with customers on Cypher query tuning (SQL for graphs) and data model design to address performance needs and expanding use cases.
- Review and provide suggested improvements to Java User Defined Procedures (and UDFs) and other Neo4j Java API questions (Java experience preferred).
- Efficiently troubleshoot cluster issues across multiple servers, data centers, and regions, in a variety of cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc), virtual, and bare metal environments.
- Possess demonstrated proficiency in Linux (primarily) and Windows (secondary) environments (#1 and #2 most common OS’s, respectively).
- Background in database technologies (SQL, noSQL or competing graph database technologies.
- Docker and Kubernetes, distributed technologies and clustering
- Nice to have: Graph Data Science technology experience, UI, UX
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or Engineering, or other technical fields strongly considered
- Occasional travel, up to 20% expected
- Preferable prior experience in a customer facing support role