Customer Success Engineer
at ThousandEyesSan Francisco, CA
The name ThousandEyes was born from two big ideas: the power to see things not ordinarily possible and the ability to collect insights from a multitude of vantage points. As organizations rely more on cloud services and the Internet, the network has become a black box they can't understand. ThousandEyes gives organizations visibility into the now borderless network, arming them with an accurate understanding of how the network impacts their applications, users and customers. ThousandEyes is used by some of the world's largest and fastest growing brands, including all of the top 5 global software companies, 5 of the top 6 US banks, and 45 of the Fortune 500. ThousandEyes is backed by Sequoia Capital, Sutter Hill Ventures, Tenaya Capital, Google Ventures and Salesforce Ventures, with headquarters in San Francisco, CA.
About the Role
We're all familiar with the technology, but have you ever wondered how the Internet actually works? AtThousandEyes, we spend every day working to help customers understand the gotchas of Internet-based service delivery: how to identify problems, how to resolve, and how to avoid them in the future. Our Customer Success team is tasked with empowering our customers with ThousandEyes toease their performance monitoring pains.
If you enjoy variety in job responsibilities, this is the job for you. A day may involve helping a customer identify network loss in an undersea cable, diagnose the cause of a route leak impacting significant portions of internet traffic, scripting an approach to monitoring a website's login flow, spinning up a lab environment to reproduce a strange set of behaviors seen in a customer's environment, saving a company hours of bridge time during a significant outage impacting their infrastructure by finding the smoking-gun in a network outage, or simply helping someone understand the way that our applications work. The job is highly variable and requires both the ability to make data-driven decisions, and draw conclusions based on incomplete information. We're looking for out-of-the-box thinkers who can complement and extend the already formidable talents of our Customer Success organization.
You will need to be a really enthusiastic self-starter, intellectually curious and a fast learner, and a stickler for details, since you'll be working with some of the smartest operational people here that you ever have. Thinking on our feet is a big part of what we do every day, and our job is to make the jobs of our customers easier to manage and understand.
The ideal candidate has an amazing attitude, can learn and present new concepts, has dabbled in development but worked in operations, and wants to work with some of the smartest customers you can imagine.
- A standout "customer first" attitude
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent working experience
- Ability to prioritize tasks and complete them on a timely fashion.
- At least 5 years working in a customer-facing role
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely to technical and non-technical users
- Proven troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Firm grasp of network and application protocols (Cisco/Juniper certification strongly preferred)
- Significant experience on Linux, at or close to SysAdmin level
- Familiar with core networking principles - DNS, web technologies, and voice over IP
- Working knowledge of virtualization technology - containers, virtualBox, VMware, HyperV, Xen
- Working knowledge in security - authentication, permissions, SSO
- Experience in technical writing is a plus
- Timely interaction with customers and internal teams requesting support
- Take ownership of technical issues, working with cross-functional teams to document problem definition, troubleshooting procedures, and resolution steps
- Take ownership of customer support forum and keep information current on best practices withThousandEyes
- Active participation in 24*7 Support Coverage model
- Identify process & workflows ripe for improvement or automation