Senior Director Digital Product Design
HMH is seeking an exceptional Senior Director of User Experience to join our growing Digital Product Design team and create innovative solutions for HMH’s web and mobile products.
As the Senior Director of Digital Product Design for HMH’s Platform team, you will collaborate with the VP of Digital Product Design to develop the user experience strategy and have a significant impact on what HMH is today and becomes tomorrow. While leading a talented team of designers and working hand in hand with the UX team of information architects, prototypers and researchers, the successful candidate will utilize their impressive experience to keep HMH at the forefront of modern usability design on all platforms. This candidate should also be comfortable operating as a player/coach, leveraging their expertise and experience with the fundamentals and importance of design strategy and design thinking both themselves and through others.
- Contribute to setting the vision for HMH platform experiences. Act as a trusted advisor to the VP of Digital Product Design in the creation of strategic ideas and innovative thinking to meet market changes, reach business objectives, address competitive threats, and support strategic plans. Explore opportunities for future innovations through design research, leveraging trends/insights (user, tech, business) to spot opportunities for innovation. Translate product needs into smart, measurable creative strategies that differentiate HMH.
- Lead design processes that generate breakthrough solutions. Structure and facilitate design thinking workshops and generative projects, exploring opportunities and delivering product/service concepts. Maximize research and user-centered design methodologies to keep the focus on the user as the most important, differentiating aspect of our products. Keep pace with the ever-changing digital environment, iterating designs through Lean UX, Agile, and other modern design/build processes. Work closely with agile development teams to coordinate and deliver an error-free final product
- Work across multiple products. Create user-driven, engaging user experiences that turn complex tasks into simple, elegant interactions. Offer multiple concepts that explore new and different ways to solve challenges. Design customer experiences that may begin in one product and continue and end on another, recognizing that physical and digital boundaries are merging.
- Lead a team of practitioners in design thinking, user experience and design execution. You and your team will ensure that the customer voice and perspective is brought to all idea generation and product development, including professional training and development, performance reviews, setting objectives, etc. Provide direction to designers and UX specialists.
- Work on multiple designs/projects at one time. Utilize strong communication skills to manage time and expectations appropriately with a demonstrated ability to think strategically about the overall experience. Work on and support a set of projects both directly and through the team.
- Collaborate with Design Operations, Project Managers, Product Team Leads, Research and Developers to refine workflows cross-functionally. Define and evolve responsive design web standards.
- Leverage content management systems, project tracking applications, image libraries, and digital asset management systems
- 10+ years of design experience with a dazzling portfolio of designs.
- A truly impressive background with experience leading Digital Design on all platforms (iOS/Android/Web).
- 8+ years of work experience as Design Director/Manager/Leader and track record managing and inspiring people.
- Master’s degree in design or bachelor’s degree with compensating experience.
- Proven successful experience in customer focused conversion and engagement.
- Has extensive experience and is comfortable presenting their work to a large and senior audience.
- Strong, flexible, strategic thinker with vision.
Keys to Success
- Rapidly provide design concepts integrating user need and business requirements while aligning with evolving design system.
- Demonstrate accountability and integrity.
- Develop successful relationships within the team and with other departments.
- Embrace change
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing).
- The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.