Responsible to the assigned supervisor to perform and manage technical work related activities associated with the planning, engineering, design, analysis, research, development, testing, construction, maintenance and operation of Company equipment and facilities. These responsibilities and job scope are specific to the organizational unit (e.g. OpCo, district, etc.) and may be provided on an addendum to this job description, as prepared by the organizational unit.
This position will be filled as a Central Design Supervisor-NE and will support all I&M districts.
1. Communication and interpersonal skills: leads and facilitates meetings effectively; networks with peers inside and outside the AEP System. Identifies key stakeholders. Uses informal network to get things done.
2. Decision making and business awareness characteristics : uses diverse approaches to make decisions in the absence of a definite framework or where few precedents exist ; makes decisions that may affect the operations or results of the section and which may impact the business unit ; demonstrates the ability to handle conflicting interests related to projects or special tasks. Also demonstrates the ability to analyze options and risks.
3. Technical proficiency: demonstrates the ability to understand more complex technical issues in relevant area of assignment; demonstrates an above average ability to use technical and computer tools to perform assignments in most cost effective method possible.
4. Leadership and guidance: leads, facilitates and coordinates work activities within work group , team, department or other corporate entity as necessary to perform all routine engineering technical assignments; provides advanced training to employees; and ensure the contribution of all employees within the Distribution Design group in developing methods and approaches by maintaining close involvement with the employees and listening to the ideas, needs and recommendations.
5. Planning and organization ability: plans work and suggests work plans of others to complete non-routine work within time constraints; plans effectively with AEP suppliers, and internal or external customers; reviews trends of materials and equipment performance, and initiate necessary corrective action. Monitor design, material and work progress on department projects to control costs within estimated budget and to ensure codes, standards and schedules are met.
6. Customer Focus: Ensure that each employee maintains a customer focused attitude by conveying a thorough understanding of customer expectations and instill the importance of achieving superior customer satisfaction.
Additional Principal Accountabilities:
Work Closely with I&M district leadership to establish and execute design of projects in the annual work plan.
Overseeinternal and business partners safety, culture, quality and performance to ensure project success.Assign projects and manage work load ofinternal and business partner design team.Train and develop design techs forinternal andcontractor design teams.Provide feedback to Region Engineering to improve Reliability, Modernization and other Project plans.Other Duties as assigned.