Customer Business Development Manager
CUSTOMER BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER - US & MULTINATIONAL ACCOUNTS
Considering a Career at Maple Leaf Foods?
Maple Leaf Foods is Canada’s leading consumer-packaged protein company, headquartered in
Toronto, Ontario. We make high-quality, great tasting, nutritious and innovative food products under leading brands including Maple Leaf®, Maple Leaf Prime®, Maple Leaf Natural Selections®, Schneiders®, Schneiders Country Naturals® and Mina™. Our Company employs approximately 11,000 people in its operations across Canada and exports to more than 20 global markets including the U.S. and Asia.
Our people are passionate about the work they do and the products we make. As we move forward, we are determined to leverage their integrity and passion to continue to build a high-performing, values-based company enabled by high-performing, motivated and talented people.
To support Maple Leaf’s US growth initiative, this newly created position will play a pivotal role in accelerating the growth of Maple Leaf’s Antibiotic Free (ABF) and Non-Antibiotic Free products at critical growth partners in the United States.
Primary responsibilities for this role will be managing all customer activities for customers of strategic significance with emphasis on profitable growth through business development. Successful candidate will be required to work as an entrepreneurial sales leader who is skilled in building relationships, selling with insights and fact, and operating in a fast paced and high growth environment. This individual will be passionate about identifying and securing new opportunities at both new and existing customers.
- Provide all elements of sales leadership to grow our ABF / RWA and Non ABF business in the United States
- Plan account strategies and work with customers to develop sales plans and tactics to build our ABF / RWA and Non ABF business in the United State markets.
- Hire, educate and manage a high performing group of Brokers to cover key markets and/or accounts that are strategic to accomplishing Maple Leaf’s growth targets
- Develop a deep understand of top customer’s strategy and build strong relationships with customer(s) at multiple levels
- Maintain a strong customer interface strategy with customer and lead value creation initiatives for customer
- Maximize sales volume and GP
- Utilize data to identify insights, build plans, and take actions that will drive growth
- Oversight on all trade spend invested with Retail partners
- Oversight and leadership to Private Label Development both internally and externally
- Regular and frequent contact with customers and internal staff in marketing, category management, finance, supply chain and other functional departments as required
- Builds and maintains knowledge base of competitors and consumer/customer trends in the marketplace/industry, integrating this information into strategic recommendations
- Interface with Demand Planning teams to ensure forecasting is updated and accurate
- Report on business financials in a timely and effective manager
- Travel in United States, and to Canada, will be required
- Manage SGA to budgeted levels (ZBB cost culture)
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS:
- University or College Degree
- 10+ years of sales experience preferred, in meat industry
- Brand and Private Label experience preferred
- Self-management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Entrepreneurial approach to building business.
- Demonstrated passion and tenacity to overcome barriers through facts, relationships, action planning
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Savvy, passionate, and deeply committed to delivering growth
- Consistency in delivering results focusing on overall profitability.
- Has strong industry knowledge and contacts and leverages them to drive improved results.
- Has strong understanding of markets and competition and leverages it to drive better results.
STRATEGIC CAPABILITY/ PROBLEM SOLVING
- Ability to translate broad strategy into a meaningful and explicit action plan to execute and achieve a goal.
- Able to manage and simplify complexity to develop executable solutions.
- Leverages cross-functional resources (dedicated and shared) as well as team to identify and solve strategic issues.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to clearly express ideas and concepts to ensure an executable plan is in place.
- Synthesize complex data, insights and inferences into a coherent and logical chain that others can execute on.
- Strong negotiation skills including listening, probing, identifying interests, and mutually solving problems.
- Can deliver and stick to a tough message when required.
- Effectively reads and adapts to different personality types to maximize value out of negotiations.
- Has the fortitude to “hang in there” on strategic issues that may draw out over a long period of time.
- Clearly identifies what they want out of a negotiation and finds creative and profit-creating ways of achieving that outcome.
ANALYTICAL / PROCESS ORIENTATION
- Fact based selling – Uses market and sales data (AC Neilsen, Market Trade and Channel Watch) to develop actionable fact-based plans and executes those plans.
- Ability to interpret financial data and makes decisions with the data to positively and measurably affect GP.
- Ability to reduce complexity and the ability to manage through complex problems.
- Building influence and credibility with internal and external customers and cross functional resources.
- Blends people into teams when needed to solve complex business issues or problems.
- Get things done by building and leveraging cross functional relationships.
- Can formulate and deliver proposals to solve issues.
- Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers in a timely and responsive manner.
- Builds and nurtures high quality customer relationships based on mutual respect.