What You Will Do:
At the University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC), a designated Magnet facility, we are a team. Nurses and doctors, specialists and therapists, work shoulder-to-shoulder to give our patients the care they deserve. We take time to celebrate each other’s contributions and treat each other with respect by valuing each other’s ideas and opinions. Ultimately, we support each other’s growth. Together, we form a world-class team dedicated to furthering the practice of patient care.
The CRNA Manager serves as a leader by assisting the Director in the operations of the department. Coordinates an advanced level of comprehensive anesthesia care and serves as an expert in specialty area. Oversees the work of the nurse anesthetists. Takes a leadership role in overall program development.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Assists the Director of Nurse Anesthetists in facilitating the development, support and management of the CRNA group. This includes developing policies and procedures, performance improvement strategies, recruitment and retention, performance evaluations and professional development.
- Actively participates with Quality Management in the development and implementation of clinical practices.
- Monitors competency, documentation and outcomes of care given by Nurse Anesthetists. Identifies ways to facilitate working relationships among all levels of staff to meet patient care requirements.
- Provides overall clinical supervision, including work assignments, training and evaluation in accordance with UMMC and specific, respective departmental policies and procedures.
- Interviews and recommends hiring of Nurse Anesthetists.
- Conducts the annual performance evaluations of staff and recommends disciplinary measures when necessary.
- Identifies learning needs of staff. Orients new Nurse Anesthetists. Develops department level education, including simulation, in-services and teaching materials.
- Promotes professional development of staff.
- Develops policies and procedures related to patient care by following established applicable nursing, medical and primary care standards.
- Models appropriate judgment in the follow-up of patient care issues, including use of physician, nursing and/or administrative chain of command. Models effective leadership behaviors in the Manager CRNA role. Facilitates learning for other staff to become more effective in their role. Provides coaching and team building to increase employee productivity and satisfaction. Serves as a resource to staff for problem solving.
- Actively participates in and leads discussion of quality results and patient feedback, problem solving and development of plans to improve quality of care and service. Follows up and supports efforts of colleagues to implement improvement action plans.
- Facilitates change to meet organizational goals within the department. Develops and implements strategies to reduce costs and increase patient satisfaction.
- Acts as a liaison with nursing, medical staff and quality management.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing and graduation with a Master’s or Doctoral degree from an accredited school of nurse anesthesia required.
- Must hold current licensure from the Maryland State Board of Nurse Examiners to practice nursing and nurse anesthesia.
- Current certification or recertification from the National Board on Certification & Recertification of Nurse Anesthetists (NBCRNA) required.
- Current BLS and ACLS certifications required.
- Five (5) years of experience as a Nurse Anesthetist required. Lead or supervisory experience is preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job ID: 56937