Selects and administers intravenous, spinal and other anesthetics prior to and during surgical or medical procedures, as a member of the anesthesia care team and in accordance with Kaiser Permanente policies and procedures. Monitors patient reactions and vital signs during and after anesthesia and takes remedial action when warranted. Submits postoperative report on patient condition, and maintains records of anesthetics administered. Performs procedures outside of the OR, in accordance with KP policies and procedures, established competency, and MD order.
- Conducts and/or reviews anesthetic evaluation of patients prior to surgical proceedings, deliveries or other pertinent medical procedures in hospital setting; consults with anesthesiologists and/or surgeons.
- Reviews patients charts, including permits, pre-operative medications, lab work, and any other significant variations, such as hearing aids, dentures, contact lenses, or other prostheses, in accordance with KPs policies and procedures and the departmental policy.
- Evaluates patients to identify apparent difficulties with airway control, etc. Ensures that all pre-anesthesia evaluations are documented thoroughly according to policies and standards.
- Explains tests, procedures and disease processes to patients and their family as indicated; explains the major anesthetic risks to patients as requested and documents that the risks are explained to patients.
- Develops the care regimen of assigned patients; reviews the care regimen with the supervising physician and gains concurrence; implements the anesthesia plan; starts IV solution, administers selected anesthetic, choice of anesthetic consistent with patient safety, surgical need, possible post operative complications, and patients history and conditions. and evaluates and manages the patient, according to departmental policy.
- Participates with post anesthesia care unit personnel in a patient safety oriented interface when patients are transferred from the surgery suite.
- Monitors patients vital signs, such as blood pressure and observes any significant physical changes; informs anesthesiologist and/or surgeon of patients condition and takes any necessary remedial action such as infant resuscitation when necessary.
- Mixes solutions to required concentrations, such as pentothal, succinylcholine, vaso-active drugs etc.
- Keeps current accurate and complete record of procedures performed and patients conditions immediately prior to the administration of anesthesia according to established standards.
- Performs procedures done outside of OR, such as intubation, arterial line placement, etc., in accordance with policies and procedures, competencies, and physician order. Charts details of procedures done on progress notes.
- Kaiser Permanente conducts compensation reviews of positions on a routine basis. At any time, Kaiser Permanente reserves the right to reevaluate and change job descriptions, or to change such positions from salaried to hourly pay status. Such changes are generally implemented only after notice is given to affected employees.
- Graduate of an accredited registered nursing program. Graduate of an accredited school of anesthesia by date of hire. High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (California) required at hire
- Registered Nurse License (California) required at hire from Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support required at hire
- Basic Life Support required at hire
- National Provider Identifier required at hire
- Demonstrated understanding of all regulatory requirements and legal consequences of anesthesia care.
- Proven ability to exercise professional prerogatives based on sound clinical judgment.
- Demonstrated track record of following the precautionary and preventive measures in giving patient care.
- Demonstrated ability to work in teams and have proven communications and listening skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in interpersonal relations, customer service, adaptability and change management.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Must be eligible for Medicare/Medi-Cal enrollment. Medicare enrollment requires current certification by one of the following organizations: Council on Certification of Nurse Anesthetists or the Council on Recertification of Nurse Anesthetists.
Primary Location: California,Walnut Creek,Walnut Creek Hospital
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40
Workdays: Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat,
Working Hours Start: 07:15 AM
Working Hours End: 03:45 PM
Job Schedule: Full-time
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group/Union Affiliation: NUE-NCAL-03|NUE|Non Union Employee
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Department: Walnut Creek Hospital - Anesthesiology-Nurse Anesthes - 0206
Pay Range: $228100 - $295130 / year
The ranges posted above reflect the location in the job posting. The salary range may vary if you reside in a different location or state than the location posted.
At Kaiser Permanente, equity, inclusion and diversity are inextricably linked to our mission, and we aim to make it a part of everything we do. We know that having a diverse and inclusive workforce makes Kaiser Permanente a better place to receive health care, a more supportive partner in our communities we serve, and a more fulfilling place to work. Working at Kaiser Permanente means that you agree to and abide by our commitment to equity and our expectation that we all work together to create an inclusive work environment focused on a sense of belonging and wellbeing.
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.