For more than 170 years, National Life Group ("NLG") has aimed to keep our promises to provide families stability in good times and in bad. Throughout that history, we have provided peace of mind to those families as they plan their futures.
As a mission-driven business, the cause of what we do is as important as the products we sell, and our cause is a very simple one, directed at the people who live and work on America's Main Streets: to "Do Good" in our communities and with the individual families we serve.
Sentinel Investments, the investment management company of NLG, manages approximately $30 billion in AUM. Our purpose is simple – to allow NLG to keep its promises. How we do this – an obsessive focus on delivering investment results. We drive results through a rigorous and collaborative investment process and we hold ourselves to the highest of standards, both as investors and teammates. While our process is based on rigor, our culture is based on our guiding principles: Meritocracy, Uncompromising Transparency, Intellectual Honesty, Performance Driven Learning, and Relentless Pursuit of Excellence. These principles guide the way we conduct ourselves, how we work together, and how we approach every investment decision. We fulfill our responsibilities while acting with integrity and humility, while focusing on what is right for the firm, and ultimately, our policyholders. Our culture has been deliberately built to nurture inclusiveness and curiosity, and provide opportunities to learn and grow, both as people and investors. The flat and collaborative nature of our team promotes an atmosphere where the best ideas are continually expressed and rewarded. Our pursuit of excellence is unwavering.
Position Title Credit Research Analyst
Reports to Head of Investment Research
Reporting to the Head of Investment Research, the Credit Research Analyst conducts rigorous fundamental research across assigned sectors in the public and private credit markets. This includes surveillance of National Life Group's $13 billion corporate bond portfolio, as well as underwriting new investment opportunities in assigned sectors that are suitable for the firm's portfolio mandates. The Credit Research Analyst also assists with portfolio analytics for the firm's corporate bond portfolio.
- Perform in depth fundamental sector, issuer and security-level research to develop a forward-looking view on the corporate bond market.
- Provide fundamental analysis and recommendations on existing and potential corporate bond investments to portfolio managers and the broader investment team.
- Assess and underwrite investment opportunities across assigned sectors in the public and private credit markets.
- Prepare investment memos for purchased securities outlining primary credit strengths and risks based on applicable qualitative, financial, covenant and relative value analyses.
- Monitor corporate bond portfolio, report on material developments, establish and maintain issuer monitor and watch lists, proactively communicate potential risks, and identify potential sales candidates for discussion with portfolio managers and broader investment team.
- Support portfolio analytics for the firm's corporate bond portfolio.
- Establish and maintain quantitative, fundamental, and relative value screens to assist in the formulation of investment recommendations across sectors and issuers.
- Conduct regular industry reviews of assigned sectors to inform the broader investment team.
- Share fundamental credit views as needed for investment opportunities in other asset classes, including alternative investments, structured products, and commercial real estate.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with portfolio management, trading, research, and others across the firm on both individual issuers and the broader corporate market.
Pivotal Experience & Expertise
- Bachelor's degree in finance, economics, accounting, business administration, or a related field
- MBA or CFA desirable
- At least five years of corporate credit research experience
- Solid interpersonal skills and ability to connect to form meaningful working partnerships
- Strong understanding of the asset management industry and capital markets, particularly in fixed income
- Superior written and verbal communication skills to articulate strengths and weaknesses of potential investments
- Inclusive team player with a collaborative and cooperative approach
- Strong work ethic and proactive professional disposition
- Cultural Fit
- Results-driven mindset
- Thrives in a collaborative environment where the best ideas that drive the best results are rewarded
- Has the integrity to communicate all relevant facts and information in evaluating decisions and the humility to admit what you do not know
- Love of learning – comfortable in an organization that seeks to continually learn from its mistakes and successes to drive better investment decisions
- Comfortable with ambiguity and the mentality required to address and ultimately own those ambiguous situations – finding answers and solutions
- Proficient in giving and receiving constructive feedback in both real time and structured environments
- Demonstrates transparent, direct, and open communication across the organization
- Promotes collaboration and has a "firm first" attitude – does what is right for National Life Group
- Commitment to our mission and values