McDonald's is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries and billions of customers served each year. As the global leader in the food service industry, we have a legacy of innovation and hard work that continues to drive us. Today, we are growing with velocity and are focused on modernizing our experiences, not to make a different McDonald's but to build a better McDonald's.
We are a people business just as much as we are a restaurant business. We strive to be the most inclusive brand on the planet by building diverse teams who create delicious, feel good moments that are easy for everyone to enjoy. Joining McDonald's means thinking big every day and preparing for a career that can have impact around the world.
We are dedicated to using our scale for good: good for people, our industry and the planet. From bold recycling initiatives and sustainable sourcing efforts to our partnership with Ronald McDonald House Charities, we see every day as a chance to have a genuine impact on our customers, our people and our partners.
Our new, state-of-the art headquarters is located in the booming West Loop area in the heart of downtown Chicago. It is set up to be a global hub that fosters innovation: take a class at Hamburger University, sample future menu items in our Test Kitchen, and utilize the latest technology to stay in touch with your team around the globe. With monthly organized events, massive outdoor spaces, an 8000 square foot gym, and an onsite McDonald's serving international favorites, our office helps us connect with each other like never before. Needless to say, you'll be lovin' it here
As a young In-House Agency at McDonald's, Agency123 is now seeking to elevate our creative product and transform into the world-class agency designed to deliver on our commitment to a be a better McDonald's.
We are looking for a Creative Director, who is passionate about the brand, is a strategic forward-thinker, and can lead and inspire a creative team to new heights.
- McDonald's is building an in-house agency and a creative powerhouse: McDonald's has a proud design heritage, resulting in some of the most powerful visual equities in the world. However, these are often applied in an inconsistent, transactional way. As with many brands over time, inconsistent applications have caused somewhat fractured creative quality. We see design and creative output as a critical element of the brand and we have an opportunity to reflect that in everything we do.
- New Visual Identity System: McDonald's new visual design system was successfully launched and needs to be infused into the fabric of the company and touch every aspect of our marketing, communications and operations.
- We have built close relationships with designers inside and outside the company: Agency123, has recently restructured to better serve McDonald's evolving needs. We forged a working partnership with Global Marketing/Brand to support the visual design system rollout, collaborating with designers and Art Directors at our creative agencies.
ResponsibilitiesThe Creative Director is responsible for overseeing and ensuring exceptional quality of all creative products presented and delivered to the clients. The Creative Director works closely and collaboratively with leadership and engages regularly with Account teams to ensure alignment on creative direction and output.
The Creative Director is the embodiment of the team's creative talents, abilities and strategic collaboration. They reflect the agency's creative culture, while meeting a high-level of client expectations.
Administration and Inspiration of creative output: McDonald's partners with agencies and creative providers – all of which have Art Directors and Designers who have been diligent in bringing the new visual design system to life. This aspect of the job will require close collaboration with these agencies to ensure the design system is brought to life in our creative output and keeping it fresh as it evolves.
- Contribute to agency projects, providing overall direction and advice
- Highly responsive and able to think/act quick under pressure
- Organize and facilitate creative sessions & workshops to enable the creative development for critical initiatives
- Oversee and guide the development of strong creative briefs within Agency123
Team leadership: Agency123 produces internal communications, large-scale events, video and marketing materials for the corporation and its partners. These are critical in setting the tone, direction and eliciting action for the corporation. The role will involve:
- Lead and mentor the creative team
- Manage the in-house design team
- Advise in selection and appointment of agencies serving Agency123
- Lead creative role in marquee projects such as our biannual Worldwide Convention
- Creative leadership for projects within the agency providing both a holistic overview as well as a detailed understanding on client projects
- Gaining/maintaining familiarity with internal client's business
- Provide creative vision, inspiration, direction, mentorship, coaching and guidance
- Manage the creative team's performance and conduct performance reviews, ensuring each team member produces the highest quality of work which leads to results and lasting client relationships
- Plays an active role in growing Agency123's influence and scope of support
- Support account teams in building and nurturing client relationships
- Understands marketing, digital, and media industry trends/developments and uses this knowledge to present business building ideas for our clients
- Able to articulate to clients and team members the rationale behind each concept
- Work with the Account teams to identify solutions through creative and marketing strategies
- Provide support to functional areas focusing on strategic objectives and consistent delivery of the creative product
- Integral in attracting creative talent
- Carry out responsibilities in accordance with McDonald's policies and guidelines
- Develop and improve the creative process to compliment delivery requirements
- Leads the creative process from inception through the review phases of the creative plan
- Manage and lead talent while working to grow their knowledge and skills
- Collaborate with other McDonald's creative leaders (Internal and external) to ensure a high- level of alignment and best practices sharing
Minimum RequirementsSkills and Characteristics
- Strong Visual/Design Sensibility: Able to storyboard and visualize possible future design states and articulate concepts for others. Able to do this for both internal business audiences as well as external industry professionals.
- Enthusiasm and Energy: Be an evangelist for the power of design and creative production (in an organization where this has not been obvious in the past). Educate others on basic design concepts. Strike the right balance between principle and pragmatism.
- Strong Persuasion Skills: Ability to convince people of a point of view, build coalitions, win friends and act diplomatically. Comfortable working with many different types of people across offices and borders. Sense of passion about the importance and potential of design to transform both a customer/audience experience and a company.
- Ability to Operate in a Fast-Moving Team: Ability to toggle between tasks, work on several projects at once, prioritize and get results.
- Successful ability to form relationships and forge alliances that drive exceptional creative results
- Minimum of 10 years working in design: As an agency designer, Art Director and/or Design Director for in-house or agency.
- Proven ability to work with different agencies and departments.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing/advertising, graphic design, creative production or similar field
- Ability to communicate concepts and ideas to others through written, illustrated and verbal means, particularly design staff across disciplines and projects
- Must have industry-specific knowledge: familiarity with agency terminology, processes, and emerging/relevant technology and social/media channels
- Excellent listening skills
- Strong creative leader with proven ability to bring abstract thoughts/ideas to fruition
- 5+ years' experience leading and mentoring teams