About Blavity, Inc.: Blavity, Inc. is a venture-funded technology and new media company founded in 2014 around a simple idea: enable black millennials to tell their own stories. Today, we are home to the largest network of platforms and lifestyle brands serving the multifaceted lives of Black millennials & gen-z through original content, video, and unique experiences. The company has grown into a market leader for Black media, reaching over 80 million millennials per month through our growing brand portfolio, which includes: Blavity News, Blavity Politics, 21Ninety, AfroTech, Travel Noire, and Shadow & Act. Assembled of passionate, high-energy, and focused rock-stars, our Blavity, Inc. team executes with our values at the forefront of mind: Love of Community, Transparency and Communication, Collective Responsibility, and Fail Fast. Blavity, Inc. is continuously looking for new team members to help us continue to scale, cultivate our community, and advance our strategic direction.
Job Summary: Blavity Inc. is seeking a Creative Director to lead a team composed of graphic designers, art directors, and creative content marketers. They will be involved in every aspect of a collaboration, from the idea phase to the execution. Throughout the project lifecycle, the Creative Director will supervise and guide art directors, copywriters, and designers to create a work such as a digital product branding, marketing sites, made-for-social content, sales decks, and email campaigns. The Creative Director will report into and have oversight from the VP of Brand, but will do most of their work independently; using their professional judgment to manage day-to-day project details and logistics. The ideal candidate is a creative powerhouse with the ability to motivate and direct a team in the design and production of best-in-class creative campaigns across Blavity Inc.’s ecosystem of digital platforms.
- Lead the vision and design for all Blavity owned and operated digital products and supporting collateral
- Direct creative responses to RFPs, and lead creative conversations with clients pre-sale
- Supervise a cross-functional team of graphic designers, copywriters, social media experts, photographers/videographers, and project managers in the strategic development of messages and deliverables
- Prioritize work and resources across engagements based on short- and long-term needs, establishing production schedules by collaborating with designers, copywriters, and production departments
- Conduct brainstorming sessions with creative teams, maintaining strategic and creative thinking to develop innovative and actionable creative initiatives in a fiscally responsible manner
- Review and approve art and copy developed by the team, ensuring deliverables that effectively address marketing goals and challenges
- Produce fresh, innovative work that translates complex ideas into compelling business development materials and digital experiences for visually sophisticated audiences
- Present, or oversee presentation of final concepts, and obtain approvals for deliverables
- Years of Experience: 10 years of related experience, with 7+ years of creative direction in agency or corporate setting
- Significant experience creating marketing/advertising campaigns from developing vision, to the message platform, to overseeing production on-time and on-budget
- Understanding and past experience creating integrated content across all marketing channels; from digital, social media, paid media, mobile, with a complementary understanding of offline and print
- Proven experience with concept development
- Management Experience: 3+ years of management experience
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Fine Art, Graphic Design, or similar discipline
- Proficiency with design software, such as Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficiency with project management software such as Asana
- Prior experience with copywriting, design, or production
- Prior project management experience, with a focus on creative direction
- Exceptional capability with typography, layout, and prototyping
- Highly skilled with leading a team of creative talent
- Strong creative vision with an understanding of business objectives
Details: This is a Full-Time, remote position that may require attendance to ad hoc meetings out of our DTLA office.