Industry: Finance & Insurance•
8 - 10 years
Posted 63 days ago
Responsible for underwriting all credit requests, including new requests, renewals and modifications as the credit expert within the first line of defense. Accountable for recommending credit structures with respect to quality and profitability within assigned geographies. Fundamental duties include ensuring that the risk philosophy, risk appetite, and lending strategies of the Community Bank are adhered to while maintaining a high level of client responsiveness. Easily navigate a wide variety of financial structures, credit scenarios and financial statement analysis situations. Communicate risk/return effectively with Client Service Units (CSU) partners and Commercial Credit Administration partners.
Drive effective credit relationship management on new loans, renewals and modifications once the client has accepted a credit offer to ensure the Community Bank's commercial lending activities are executed within BB&T's policies and procedures. Also ensure effective credit risk management by completing key portfolio management activities accurately and timely. Coordinate commercial loan processes to facilitate optimal responsiveness via CSU meetings.
Note: Business Services Officer – Portfolio Manager (BSO-PM) I-V will be differentiated by size and complexity of portfolio, experience and other criteria determined relevant by Community Banking.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
1. Provide support to commercial Relationship Managers (RM) through underwriting, policy knowledge, credit structuring and risk assessment in credit request packages to be submitted for pre-screening discussions, co-approval, or credits approved within the RM's lending authority. Ensure packages are complete, accurate and thoroughly documented.
2. Connect with CSU on credit offers accepted by the client to assist in an effective closing process. Drive accurate ordering of real estate valuations, environmental assessments and Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) searches. Act as liaison with Commercial Fulfillment and Commercial Sales Assistant (CSA). Ensure loans are booked as approved.
3. Facilitate timely receipt of current and adequate financial statements of all types, tax returns, and personal financial statements. Analyze financial statements and document client performance, along with identified risk and risk mitigants.
4. Understand and can articulate all BB&T Commercial Credit policies, procedures and processes. Recommend credit within the Bank's risk appetite, including documenting when and why to make exceptions. Also recommend ongoing servicing, including covenants. May require specialized underwriting skills for Commercial and Industrial, Commercial Real Estate, Corporate Banking, Working Capital and other BB&T product offerings.
5. Support RMs, Market Presidents and Regional Presidents in administration of business portfolio of Region in order to achieve desired results of quality, profitability and growth. Recommend pricing when underwriting credits. Specifically look for opportunities to drive a relationship approach when underwriting new business and looking for Integrated Relationship Management (IRM) opportunities.
6. Participate in the relationship risk management process by completing and documenting the following:
a. preparing thorough and accurate periodic risk rating assessments;
b. conducting timely covenant compliance review and analysis to include managing, approvals, waivers and default letters;
c. monitoring timely receipt of current and adequate financial statements and ensuring accuracy of financial statement monitoring system;
d. completing special reporting or assessments, as needed.
7. Facilitate consistent and effective communication within the CSU (includes RM, CSA, BSO-PM) to drive superior revenue generation, responsiveness, and risk management through process management. Coordinate weekly CSU meetings to discuss new loan requests, renewals, current and adequate financial statement collection, risk rating assessments, past dues, pipeline and call preparation.
8. Manage data integrity of all data inputs and outputs. Review and update loan systems information to ensure accuracy.
9. Keep abreast of changing business and economic developments which impact the loan portfolio, its profitability, risk management and banking in general.
Required Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or Business, or equivalent education and related training
2. Eight years of experience in banking industry
3. Excellent verbal and written communication skills
4. Understanding of financial and cost accounting principles
5. Demonstrated proficiency in basic computer applications, such as Microsoft Office software products
6. Successful completion of a formalized credit program
7. Ability to travel, occasionally overnight
1. Master's degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or Business
2. High degree of quantitative analysis skills
3. Demonstrated proficiency in commercial lending systems
4. Strong knowledge of Bank's deposit and payments products