At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It’s the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It’s why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It’s the aim of our “returnship” program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it’s what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers’ problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We’ve been recognized by Forbes as a World’s Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce.
The successful candidate will manage all class and individual commercial and employment litigation for the Company and its subsidiaries (substantive areas include general commercial, contract, antitrust, Fair Credit Reporting Act, intellectual property including copyright, trademarks and patents, and employment).
This role is responsible for:
- Providing regular reports to the General Counsel, relevant senior management and risk management of all litigation and related matters
- Selecting and assigning appropriate outside counsel
- Drafting and Issuance of Litigation Hold Notices and monitor acknowledgements from management and staff
- Investigating facts and documents related to disputes and litigation
- Assisting outside counsel in the collection of discovery responses and formulation of objections
- Developing defense strategies including the consideration of early resolution
- Reviewing and assisting in the preparation of procedural and substantive motions as well as all appeals
- Assisting in the preparation of witnesses for deposition or trial
- Attending depositions of Company witnesses
- Attending meditations, arbitrations and trials
- Negotiating and implementing settlements
- Communicate with insurance carriers and provide quarterly updates on all claims for the Company
- Manage internal investigations where appropriate including the selection and management of appropriate outside counsel
- Respond to non-party discovery (over 50 subpoenas on a yearly basis for electronic and documentary discovery as well as witnesses) for the Company and its subsidiaries and where appropriate provide advice to subsidiaries related to their response to non-party discovery
- Assist the General Counsel in quarterly reporting responsibilities and reporting to auditors as those relate to litigation for the Company
- Respond to requests for information and documentary and testimonial evidence from customers in litigation
- Must have an undergraduate degree and a JD degree from a top law school
- Admission to New Jersey Bar (or Admission to other state bar with NJ Limited License for In-House Counsel)
- Minimum 4 years of combined relevant legal experience including both law firm litigation experience and in house litigation management experience
- Insurance industry experience a plus
- Effective negotiator with a good sense for practical business solutions to problems
- Self-assured and comfortable handling matters independently
- Energetic with a dynamic personality and can inspire the confidence of the business team, management, departmental colleagues and other support groups
- Excellent negotiation, drafting, analytical, verbal and written communication skills
- Extremely well-organized and have excellent attention to detail
- Effectively prioritize and manage multiple matters in a timely manner