Group Nine Media is currently seeking a bright, self-motivated counsel to join the Legal Team, which is responsible for handling all legal matters for the company. In this position, you will be responsible for building a scalable legal support system for the company, and working with all relevant stakeholders to advise on various legal and business issues. You will be expected to act as a thought-leader for the business, providing insights and recommendations on a broad range of legal issues. The ideal candidate is an astute negotiator who can manage shifting priorities within a fast-paced environment, while maintaining a positive outlook.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Address and advise on all legal matters for the company both proactively and as directed. Areas of coverage include inbound and outbound commercial contracts, scripted and unscripted programming, regulatory and policy compliance, M&A transactions, labor and employment issues, corporate governance, employee equity incentive program, commercial real estate transactions, disputes and litigation, and development of legal strategy.
- Lead complex transactions from start to finish with minimal supervision. This involves evaluating business development opportunities, meeting with internal stakeholders, and simultaneously balancing a number of legal and business issues.
- Manage administration and resolution of legal issues that arise in existing commercial relationships.
- Help maintain Legal and Business Affairs Team infrastructure, company records, and internal systems.
- Stay up-to-date and keep key business partners informed about changes to existing policies, laws, and regulations.
- Manage relationships with outside counsel.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- JDdegree and admission to one or more state Bars (must be in good standing, and if not admitted in New York, must be willing to register as in-house counsel in New York).
- 4-6 years relevant work experience; in-house experience at a digital media company preferred.
- Experience negotiating complex commercial transactions.
- Experience and confidence independently drafting and negotiating a variety of agreements.
- Basic understanding of the wide variety of transactions and legal issues that arise at a digital media company, including content production and distribution deals, online advertising compliance, data management and security, commercial real estate transactions, and personnel management.
- Strong sense of urgency and people management skills.
- Excellent organization, prioritization, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail, commitment to quality, and passion for results.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, and understanding of relevant technology, including various digitaldistributionchannels, content development systems, and advertising platforms.
- Strong interest in the business and desire to work within a multidisciplinary team.