The Law Department has an opening in its Auto Claim Counseling unit located in Bloomington, Illinois. Auto Claim Counsel have a broad range of responsibilities in matters relating to State Farm’s Automobile Policies and Auto Claims. The Auto ClaimsCounseling unit provides legal advice on issues associated with the creation, implementation and interpretation of auto insurance policies, and handling of claims (but does not include management of claims litigation).
Candidates should have a proven record of commitment to the delivery of high quality legal service, a commitment to collaboration, teamwork and learning.
Candidates must have a record of professionalism, civility and ethical behavior. Candidates are required to comply will all applicable law, regulations, and codes of conduct.
Strong analytical skills as well as strong research and writing skills are a must.
The successful candidate will be expected to actively pursue self-development and engage in collaborative efforts both within and outside the Law Department to further the strategic goals of the Department and the State Farm Enterprise.
Competitive Candidates will need to demonstrate an interest and acumen in drafting policy language, analyzing coverage, interpreting statutes and regulations governing insurance policies, analyzing issues related to medial management, medical privacy, and other claims related topics.
Candidates should possess the follow skills and abilities:
- read, interpret, and advise on policy language, insurance code statutes, regulations, bulletins, and accompanying case law
- apply the law to claim facts and provide effective counsel that is meaningful to the P&C Claims business area
- listen and work collaboratively in a team environment
- communicate clearly and concisely in writing and verbally with both internal business areas and outside counsel
- display amiable and sound inter-personal skills
- display sound decision-making and judgment, identifying effective approaches to solve legal issues based upon factual information and business objectives
- serve as strategic thinking partners with business areas on how to best meet the business needs and objectives of State Farm
- distinguish legal and business advice
- anticipate and manage legal risks by providing outstanding, objective legal services
- maintain confidentiality
- display creativity in approaching legal matters and/or litigation resolution
- Must be a graduate of an ABA accredited law school and must have an active law license in one or more jurisdictions and the ability to gain admission by reciprocity as a Corporate Counsel in Illinois.
- Other than as authorized by the General Counsel or his designee, employees are not permitted to handle any legal business outside of State Farm except authorized pro bono work.
- Newly hired employees must cease all outside practice and all suit involvement before joining State Farm
- Travel may be required via commercial transportation or driving to job related activities
- May work irregular hours due to workload and nature of the work