What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
- The primary purpose of this position is to assist the Assistant General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel with fulfilling their responsibilities to provide legal advice and services in connection with the insurance regulatory matters to minimize legal exposure and enhance shareholder value by ensuring the Company's compliance with applicable laws and regulations and with internal policies and procedures.Legal Agreements: Develop and review legal agreements that include but are not limited to, producer agreements, program administrator agreements, managing general agent agreements, claims service agreements, non-disclosure agreements, marketing agreements, and loss control agreements.
- Regulatory Matters: In conjunction with the Assistant General Counsel-Regulatory, Deputy General Counsel and regulatory attorneys, provide advice and guidance on regulatory issues, including but not limited producer licensing, appointments and producer terminations; address the consumer complaints; provide support during market conduct and financial exams; as well as, file holding company filings in multiple states.
- Assist Compliance team with legal and regulatory matters.
- Identify and understand the potential legal risks associated with each initiative, and engage attorneys within the legal organization with subject matter expertise to address such risks and provide practical, solution-based advice to clients.
- Develop innovative approaches to legal issues in support of strategic business initiatives and objectives.
Work Experience/Skill Set
- Strong self starter - able to work independently and within a team
- 3-5 years experience with significant legal and regulatory work in the P&C environment
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to multi-task in faced-paced environment
- Strong analytical and collaborative skills
"Why work for us?"
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people's differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.