It's fun to work in a company where people truly BELIEVE in what they are doing!
We're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business.
The Attorney is responsible for providing legal and regulatory advice related to state and federal insurance laws and regulations applicable to Cigna's US Healthcare and Government Segment businesses. This role will manage a team of legal and compliance professionals responsible for the intake and assessment of laws and regulations and will provide regulatory counsel to the teams implementing the controls required to mitigate the risk of non-compliance. Additionally, this role will serve as a point of escalation for issues related to market conduct examinations and other regulatory inquiries or exams.
- Provide counsel to Cigna's US Healthcare and Government Segment teams, including intaking, summarizing and assessing the applicability of new laws or regulations.
- Assist with the negotiation of the scope of new regulatory inquiries, exams or findings.
- Monitor applicable legislative and regulatory developments, assess impacts to Cigna's business, and support implementation of new requirements and guidance.
- Ensure the accuracy and currency of compliance instructions created by Cigna's regulatory team.
- Handle research projects requested by legal, compliance or business partners.
- Manage a team of compliance and/or legal professionals.
- Work on projects independently or with other team members.
- Provide practical advice to clients.
- Draft and edit legal documents.
- Juris doctorate degree
- Bar membership
- 8+ years of legal experience, preferably in corporate, transactional, or regulatory work.
- Experience in health or life insurance, healthcare, and / or financial services industries preferred, with a working knowledge of health insurance business and regulatory principles.
- Strong team player focused on client objectives.
- Ability to work effectively in complex matrix reporting structures.
- Ability to learn quickly on the job in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including legal drafting and ability to apply law to business needs.
- Ability to handle complex legal matters.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to analyze regulatory and business information, determine cost/benefit, and provide compliant solutions and recommendations.
- Ability to work on legal issues without clear legal precedent and advise accordingly.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage a high volume of matters independently.
- Ability to demonstrate cultural sensitivity.
- Ideal candidate will be a self-starter with a willingness to learn new things.
- Highly collaborative individual with ability to influence others and build strong professional relationships.
Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status.