Practices as an attorney addressing legal matters for the company at an advanced level on a broad range of complex issues within the Legal Department’s Regulatory and Legislative practice group. Provides advice or training to entry level attorneys.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Addresses complex issues falling in the Regulatory and Legislative practice group's area of responsibility, which generally provides legal support to the Company on energy regulatory issues, and is responsible for providing legal support on legislative and Federal regulatory and tariff matters (including Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Department of Energy, and Regional Transmission Organization matters), as well as state regulatory and tariff matters before or related to state public utility commissions and state regulation of electric transmission activities.
- Analyzes complex issues, resolves problems and provides expert information to internal clients on complex issues; provides legal counsel to company management and personnel on a broad range of issues that present varied and difficult problems of interpretation and analysis.
- Advises and advocates on behalf of the company with advanced skill on complex issues.
- Advises company on pending regulatory proceedings and filings, and the impacts of such proceedings or filings on the company; maintain high level of familiarity with existing energy regulatory requirements, as well as policy and regulatory developments.
- Manages or participates in handling pending or threatened administrative litigation or disputes, including litigation strategy, drafting and submission of pleadings, discovery, oral arguments, settlement negotiations, and other litigation activities.
- Analyzes and reviews statutes, regulations, orders, case law, and other precedent or rules, and advise company personnel on substance and impact on the company related to such issuances.
- Analyzes and reviews proposed legislation or draft proposed regulations and assess impact on the company; assists company personnel with the preparation of draft legislation or draft regulations.
- Conducts legal research and analysis of statutes, case law, agency orders and other precedent as necessary; counsels company employees/leaders on legal matters through verbal and written communications.
- Manages outside counsel and other vendors retained to assist on Legal Department matters.
- Juris Doctor from an American Bar Association accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law.
- Must be able to practice in state and federal courts.
- Seven (7) years’ experience as a practicing attorney.
- Four (4) years’ experience with government agency regulations, agency regulatory processes, and administrative litigation; such experience in the utility industry or before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience as a practicing attorney.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience government agency regulations, agency regulatory processes, and administrative litigation; such experience in the utility industry or before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission preferred.
- Experience with electric utilities is preferred..
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to handle multiple projects with conflicting priorities.
- Ability to effectively utilize Microsoft Word and email applications in performing job duties.