OVERVIEWDoris and Don Fisher opened the first Gap store in 1969. Today, Gap Inc. is a leading global fashion retailer with five brands: Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, and Intermix. We are on a journey to be the world’s favorite apparel destination, from value to luxury, by delivering great product to our customers and being the best place to work and shop.Comprised of 6 attorneys, 17 legal professionals and 6 administrative assistants, the Real Estate Law team has primary responsibility for legal issues pertaining to a portfolio of approximately 3,700 retail stores and a network of office and supply chain real estate in North America, Asia and Mexico. Gap Inc. is seeking an attorney with the ability to provide timely and effective legal services with a high level of independence on a wide range of Real Estate Law matters. The attorney’s primary focus of work will be on property management, but the attorney will also handle retail leasing and commercial contracts (real estate and non-real estate related) matters up to 30-50% of the time depending on need. This position is located in San Francisco. Work will primarily cover US, Mexico and Canada-based matters, but will require some other international engagement as well. Limited travel required.KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Corporate Facilities – Advising on and negotiating complex transactions and resolving disputes and other issues concerning worldwide portfolio of owned and leased properties, including headquarters and regional offices, distribution centers, studios, and flex space, working closely with internal business partners to develop and implement Gap Inc.’s corporate real estate strategies.
- Strategic Sourcing – Negotiating contracts and resolving vendor issues concerning property operations and construction services related to retail stores, corporate offices, distribution centers and other corporate facilities.
- Retail Leasing – Negotiating retailleases for Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Athleta and Intermix.
- Landlord and Tenant Dispute Resolution – Resolving disputes, including by litigation, with Landlords concerning matters such as CAM audit and co-tenancy, construction, maintenance, local use and governmental regulations, building code and safety violations, casualty and other risk management issues.
- Store Development Support – Advising and supporting Gap Inc.’s Real Estate teams, including Architecture & Engineering, Construction and Store Maintenance including contract negotiation and issue resolution.
- Management- Managing outside counsel and outsourced legal services vendors within budgetary guidelines; supervising and training other real estate team members in supporting real estate activities.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in U.S., with at least 5 years’ experience in both in-house and law firm.
- Spanish language skills a plus
- Strong experience in negotiating constructions contracts and advising on construction related disputes a plus
- Strong experience in real estate law and industry knowledge, including litigation, lease and purchase and sale transactions, construction, property management and rent payment issues.
- Experience supporting legal and general advisory needs associated with large scale real estate portfolio, including retail and corporate offices and distribution centers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including for executive management audience.
- Ability to flex quickly and easily to changing business needs and priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to voice opinions appropriately and take unpopular positions when necessary.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to build strong working relationships with internal clients at all levels of management, and work on cross functional teams.
- Exhibit exceptional integrity, judgment, and discretion.
- Ability and desire to develop strong business acumen and robust understanding of business areas supported.