This Counsel is the primary contact for the Real Estate Team. A key aspect of the role is supporting the enterprise-wide Real Estate function and the Senior Counsel, Procurement & Real Estate to improve existing processes, templates drive best practices in supplier relationships. Success in the role will be measured by the ability of the Counsel to deliver firs it class real estate, leasing, architectural/construction, and related legal advice in a collaborative, professional and timely manner.
The Counsel will help lead the Change Healthcare law department to become a world-class high-performing organization.
Candidates for this position will be based in Atlanta or Nashville.
- Reports to: Senior Counsel or Managing Senior Counsel
- Direct Reports: None
In addition to the general responsibilities described above, the Counsel will provide legal services to the enterprise and business units as set forth below:
- Negotiate, draft and advise the Real Estate Team on all types of commercial leases, purchase agreements, buildout/architectural agreements, construction agreements, sublease agreements, guarantee agreements, license agreements, letters of intent, amendments, financing documents required by landlords, and property related operations, maintenance and services agreement
- Handle day-to-day legal matters for the company’s real estate portfolio and assist Real Estate Team and management with real estate leasing, acquisition and divestiture strategies
- Advise the Real Estate Team and actively participate in the resolution of real estate related legal issues and disputes, including the landlord-tenant disputes involving lease interpretation issues, CAM audits and charges, co-tenancy issues, construction, maintenance, local use and government regulations, building code and safety issues, and casualty and other risk mitigation issues
- interpretation of leases and related building/property services agreements and advising the Real Estate Team on strategy regarding these issues
- Manage outside counsel in real estate related transactions and coordinate legal real estate matters requiring assistance by outside counsel, including effectively managing outside counsel budgets
- Review real estate related due diligence documents for acquisitions, divestitures and financing
- Support the financial objectives of the company by supporting the Real Estate Team and the company’s external brokers in negotiating the best real estate lease and purchase terms possible
- Stay abreast of current developments in Commercial Real Estate Law and assist in revising company policies, practices and forms
- Assist the Real Estate Team to ensure the company’s compliance with its real estate obligations, services arrangements, and all relevant laws and regulations
- Reviewing legal data and advising the organization on appropriate legal action to be taken
- Coordinating with functions within the Company to obtain the necessary information, buy-in and approvals for complex real estate transactions
- Working with the Senior Counsel, Procurement & Real Estate to improve practice and procedures and to ensure completion of real estate agreements in a timely manner
- Helping to manage real estate related disputes and claims (pre-litigation) and support the Corporate Functions Team with real estate related litigation management
1-3 years of experience providing legal counsel to clients, including 1 year at the company, or 1-3 years at another company, a not-for-profit, law firm or government agency after graduation from law school
- Demonstrates experience in real estate leasing, operations and related matters
- Expertise at drafting complex real estate documents
- In-depth knowledge of corporate organizations
- Demonstrated knowledge of real estate related issues, risk management, and contract management
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to provide sound, clear legal advice to clients
- Aptitude to work well with larger team on seeking efficiencies for legal support
- Ability to manage simultaneous projects in an efficient and timely manner
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and advance knowledge of the law
- In-depth legal knowledge that allows for expeditious problem identification and resolution
- Notable business acumen dealing with risk management and organizational savvy
Juris Doctor Degree from an ABA accredited law school with excellent academic credentials; admission to practice in good standing as a member of a jurisdiction is required.