The Counsel, Privacy and Data Security provides legal research, analysis, advice, guidance, training, program management, and other assistance as directed by the General Counsel, Digital & Privacy. The Counsel, Privacy and Data Security will work across VF’s brands and functions to draft, review, negotiate and execute data protection agreements and related documents. The successful candidate will also identify and manage risks, facilitate risk mitigation strategies, advise on regulatory and contractual compliance, and assist with operational matters including policy updates, Data Registry improvements, Data Subject Request escalations, and Privacy Impact Assessments.
The Counsel, Privacy and Data Security position reports to the Vice President and General Counsel, Digital and Privacy, and does not have direct reports.
How You Will Make A Difference:
- Serve as an ambassador for Privacy by Design throughout VF and its brands, conducting training sessions and guiding teams on a wide variety of projects involving the processing of consumer or employee personal information.
- Assist in developing and executing policies, workstreams, strategies and tactics for the Privacy Program to best align with rapidly-changing legal requirements and VF’s evolving business models.
- Advance multiple privacy program workstreams and projects at the same time, while managing deadlines and competing priorities.
- Build strategic partnerships with clients, colleagues, vendors, and counterparties in multiple regions of the world, to ensure early engagement with the Privacy Program team to align business activities with VF policies, legal requirements, and best practices.
- Identify requirements of applicable data protection laws and regulations and coordinate with privacy counsel in EMEA and APAC to ensure proper data processing and transfer between jurisdictions.
- Conduct privacy impact assessments, develop practical risk mitigation strategies, and communicate them to stakeholders.
- Handle escalations of Data Subject Requests and work with stakeholders to ensure that data registries updated as new data processing initiatives are implemented.
- Exercise strong judgment and deliver sound advice in a manner that supports accurate and appropriate decisions concerning legal and policy requirements and VF’s business strategy.
- Support other attorneys on the Digital and Privacy team to facilitate the efficient negotiation of regional/national/global agreements to ensure that the selection of suppliers and services, and the legal terms of the engagement and transactions, meets all of VF's data protection requirements, policies, and practices.
- Develop and deliver internal policies and training pertaining to privacy practices.
- Address legal disputes relating to privacy and data security, to include guiding breach response activities, directing the efforts of outside counsel in litigation and mediation proceedings, and responding to regulatory investigations regarding privacy and data security.
- Continuously develop skills and knowledge of the compliance landscape and relevant industries through research, due diligence, training, bench-marking and other means.
- Coordinate with functional teams to deliver consistent and efficient process enhancements, providing hands-on support and issue escalation as needed.
- Champion a culture of high data ethics standards, proactive identification of issues, problem-solving, and continual progress in order to adapt to a fast-paced environment.
- 8+ years of relevant legal experience or 3+ years of directly-related privacy program management experience, with a strong preference for a focus on privacy compliance in a consumer-facing corporate environment
- Juris Doctor (“JD”) degree from an ABA-accredited law school, with a preference for demonstrated academic excellence at a top-tier law school
- Admitted to practice law and in good standing in at least one U.S. state bar/jurisdiction
- Certified Information Privacy Professional - US (CIPP/US) certification from the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) is strongly preferred
- Certified Information Privacy Professional - Canada (CIPP/C) certification from the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) is preferred
- Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM) certification from the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) is preferred
- A compliance management certification (CCEP) is preferred
- Experience working with multiple, diverse teams at a global, consumer-focused organization
- Demonstrated knowledge of ecommerce, payment mechanisms, retail POS, social media, mobile apps, and digital marketing, software, cloud computing, and IT infrastructure is preferred
Skills & Requirements:
- A conscientious focus, with a very strong work ethic and diligent attention to details
- Highly self-motivated, responsive to the needs of colleagues and stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, capable of developing influence at all levels of the organization through exceptional communication, persuasion, empathy, and diplomacy
- Demonstrated record of resourcefulness and taking initiative
- Highly-organized and efficient with advancing multiple projects and competing priorities with often compressed timelines, while exhibiting grace and poise
- Demonstrated organizational, planning and time management skills, and a proven record of driving for and achieving results
- Continuously develop skills and knowledge through research, training, collaborating, and other means.
- Strong analytical skills and sound judgment
- Strong orientation towards teamwork, collaboration and building trust
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues and counterparties around the globe and across cultures and build strong long-distance relationships
- A practical approach, focusing on being a business partner, team member, facilitator, and collaborator
- Demonstrate professional ethics, a positive demeanor, support of the client’s goals, and enthusiasm for the success of VF at all times
- Strong end-user technology skills are required (including specifically word processing, database, and presentation technologies), as well as the interest and willingness to adopt new technologies rapidly to improve productivity and efficiency