Req Id 63243
This Counsel, Labor & Employment (Americas), position will be part of the Legal Department’s global Labor & Employment Practice Group. The ideal candidate will have significant employment and labor law experience. Counsel will assist the Associate General Counsel (AGC), Labor & Employment; Lead Counsel, Labor & Employment (Americas); and other attorneys and clients by providing legal advice and counsel on a broad range of topics within his or her general practice area. Counsel often works independently with general supervision and direction from the AGC or Lead Counsel in furtherance of department goals and objectives and in line with the responsibilities and accountabilities set forth below
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Provide legal support to the Company’s Human Resources teams in North America by delivering legal advice related to ongoing employment and labor matters.
- Employment matters include advice on all areas of employment law, such as disability accommodations and leaves; wage and hour questions; discipline, performance management, and employment terminations, including layoffs and reductions-in-force; discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and whistleblower laws; employment-related torts and litigation; employment law regulatory and compliance matters; EEO and affirmative action; contingent worker issues; and employee privacy laws.
- Labor matters include advice on applicable areas of labor law, such as discipline, discharge, contract interpretation, grievance proceedings and negotiations, and collective bargaining administration. Primary responsibilities also include providing and/or managing legal support for arbitration hearings; labor relations strategy; union-free initiatives and defense of organizing campaigns; training and policy development; and representation of Company in unfair labor practice and other NLRB proceedings.
- Represent the Company in federal and state administrative charges or agency matters (e.g., EEOC, OFCCP, NLRB, DOL, and comparable state agencies); in alternative dispute resolution proceedings; and in response to legal demand letters.
- Manage or co-manage outside employment litigation and strategy.
- Deliver training and education on a variety of employment and labor law topics; assist in the development and review of employment-related policies and procedures; draft and review employment contracts, policies, forms and procedures; manage and oversee business immigration matters, including investigations and compliance; identify and assess risk and develop proactive workplace counseling and solutions; and provide guidance or handle directly the investigation of employment-related issues.
- Develop professional credibility and relationships with internal and external stakeholders as well as manage relationships with outside counsel.
- In addition to being well-versed in labor and employment law, the successful candidate must be a motivated, business-oriented legal professional who is client-focused and can successfully interact with the Company’s attorneys, human resources professionals, management and leadership.
- The successful candidate must act as a positive role model and continuously represent the Company and Legal Department’s professional values, principles, integrity and ethics.
- A Juris Doctor from an accredited law school required.
- Must be a member in good standing with a state bar.
- Current admission to the Texas Bar, or eligibility for immediate admission to the Texas Bar without examination, is preferred.
- Must have demonstrated a minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional legal experience practicing labor/employment, litigation or similar law in a large law firm or an in-house legal department required.
- Employment or labor litigation, arbitration, or trial experience is preferred.
- Experience working with petrochemicals, polymer or refining companies in Texas is preferred.
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates: Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Instills Trust: Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Ensures Accountability: Holding self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Decision Quality: Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Courage: Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said.
- Customer Focus: Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Communicates Effectively: Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Values Differences: Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.