Description:Legal position can be located in either Oakland or Pasadena, California.The position provides counsel to Kaiser Hospitals and health care providers regarding day-to-day regulatory and operational matters and requires a general health law background.This is an opportunity to have a broad provider regulatory practice, supporting Kaiser Permanente-s operations as an integrated delivery system in California and the eight other jurisdictions where Kaiser Permanente operates.
- Collaborate with colleagues and the Government Programs Practice Group in counseling Kaiser Permanente's Revenue Cycle operations on the implications of Medicare and Medicaid fee-for-service reimbursement regulations.
- Represent Kaiser Foundation Hospitals and Health Plan on complex issues impacting Kaiser Permanente, across multiple legal business entities.
- Advise Kaiser Permanente's health care leaders about compliance with regulations impacting Kaiser Permanente-s delivery system (including hospital, ASC, SNF, pharmacy, laboratory, radiology, psychiatric health facility, hospice, home health, continuum and medical office), both in California and in other jurisdictions where Kaiser Permanente operates.
- Advise hospitals and health plan leadership and serve as a subject matter expert and educational resource regarding licensing, accreditation and regulatory issues impacting Kaiser Permanente-s providers, including patient consent, bioethics, privacy and security (including for mental health and chemical dependency providers), medical device/ pharmacy regulation, EMTALA and Medicare/Medicaid rules impacting providers, including the Medicare conditions of participation and Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement and billing rules.
The position will also work closely with colleagues in other practice areas, as well as with colleagues who support other Kaiser Regions.
Compliance and Integrity
- Models and reinforces ethical behavior in self and others in accordance with the KP Principles of Responsibility, adheres to organizational policies and guidelines, supports compliance initiatives, maintains confidences, admits mistakes, conducts business with honesty, shows consistency in words and actions, and follows through on commitments.
- All leaders are accountable for communication, implementation, enforcement, monitoring, and oversight of compliance policies and practices in their departments.
Advises on the application of the law and legal risk to Kaiser Permanente business operations. Provides legal service to one or more assigned departments or units of the organization. Provides factual information, counsel and guidance on legal questions or matters. Researches legal principles and precedents, consults with outside counsel, drafts and executes legal documents, gathers relevant legal matter related information using multiple sources and methods.
- Under the supervision of more senior attorneys, provides legal counsel to middle management, senior management and executives on complex and legal issues which have a significant impact to the organization.
- May counsel leaders and management whenever legally unsound decisions or plans are being made or when changes in the law occur.
- Handles multiple legal matters in collaboration with other attorneys and paraprofessionals. May provide work review to paraprofessionals.
- Under oversight of practice group management, engages with outside counsel to efficiently deliver legal expertise to KP when needed.
- Prepares legal documents, memoranda and other forms of communication regarding transactional or legal advice.
- Minimum seven (7) years experience as an attorney in a law firm or company or in government in one or more legal specialties.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Juris degree.
License, Certification, Registration
- State Bar license required.