ADP is seeking a Counsel to provide employment, HR and Human Capital Management (HCM) legal support primarily for ADP’s Human Resources Outsourcing (HRO) business unit. Works as a vital part of a legal and compliance team supporting HR, benefits and payroll outsourcing businesses. Provides advice on a wide variety of legal subjects to all levels of management and to the field, with a special focus on state and federal employment law across all 50 states. Works with the business to develop and implement new products, policies, and procedures relating to human resources services. Provides regular legislative updates and internal and external compliance trainings. Stays abreast of legal and industry developments that can impact the business of ADP.
In addition, this role offers the opportunity to advise senior business stakeholders, including sales, implementation, service and operations on how to successfully navigate a rapidly developing HCM landscape. As ADP continues to drive innovation in all aspects of its business, this role provides an opportunity to be on the front lines driving innovation in the delivery of HCM services.
At ADP we are driven by your success. We engage your unique talents and perspectives. We welcome your ideas on how to do things differently and better. In your efforts to achieve, learn and grow, we support you all the way. If success motivates you, you belong at ADP.
We strive for every interaction to be driven by our CORE values: Insightful Expertise, Integrity is Everything, Service Excellence, Inspiring Innovation, Each Person Counts, Results-Driven, & Social Responsibility
- Works with the Legal Team and business partners to provide technology products that enable compliance with all applicable laws.
- Provides counseling and support to outsourced HR Business partners and outsourced investigations and leaves teams on employment related matters.
- Provides legal/business advice on new products and services.
- Provides general legal support to business partners, including managing client claims and pre-litigation matters.
- Drafts and delivers compliance training for ADP associates and other training programs as needed.
- Provides legal/business advice to ADP management and field associates on the employment law impact of decisions relating to ADP clients.
- Develops, reviews and/or drafts: policies, procedures, forms, human resources and client reference guides, Tips of the Week, client alerts, training and marketing materials and newsletters that are in compliance with state and federal laws.
- Provides general legal/business advice on the company’s products and services to operations, management, payroll and human resources departments.
- Stays current on all legislation and future legislation that could affect ADP businesses and clients and advises on any necessary policy or process changes.
- Study and learn new legal areas as required to support the business.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree and law degree (Juris doctorate) and admission to a state bar association is required.
- Experience: 5-7 years or more legal experience with a variety of employment law and human resources issues, including client counseling experience, including both in-house and large law firm experience.
- Expertise in employment law, Title VII, wage and hour laws, leave and disability issues, EE0-1 reporting and employment investigations.
- Excellent drafting skills and excellent business and legal judgment required.
- Possess and demonstrates solid organizational, interpersonal, facilitation, presentation, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to positively influence actions of multiple stakeholders, as well as balance the needs of ADP and its clients.
- Must be able to effectively explain complex legal principles to non-legal business leaders.
- Ability to work efficiently under minimal supervision and as a member of a legal team.
- Ability to multitask and to prioritize workload under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively based on knowledge of the business.
- Familiarity with outsourcing and HCM products and services and comfort working in an innovative technology environment.
- Must be flexible and have the ability to adapt to the needs of a growing business.
- Must be detailed oriented with strong attention to accuracy and problem solving.
- Strong focus on and adherence to the highest standards of ethics and compliance for ADP.
- Some travel may be required.
Preference will be given to candidates who have the following:
- Expertise in California employment law and wage and hour law.
- Knowledge of payroll, wage garnishment, workplace safety, privacy, employment eligibility verification (I-9), and DFWP programs and employee benefits law (including ERISA, COBRA, Spending Accounts, HIPAA, Health and Welfare issues, ACA, and/or 401(k)).